Former Wallabies star denied bail after repeatedly threatening to kill a man

David Skippers
Digby Ioane image

Digby Ioane represented the Wallabies in 35 Tests between 2007 and 2013 and shone for the Reds during their triumphant 2011 Super Rugby campaign.

Barbarians v Wales 50% off ticket offer

Former Wallabies winger Digby Ioane has been denied bail after appearing in court for allegedly threatening to kill a man during a dispute over a supposed land deal in Samoa.

According to a report in The Age, the prosecution alleged that Ioane repeatedly made the threats between April 22 and April 26.

The 40-year-old, is representing himself and he applied for bail on Wednesday in the Brisbane Magistrates Court.

He informed Magistrate Anne Thacker that his mother owned significant land in Samoa, and the case related to a “massive deal” he had concerns about.

“[The man] has agreed with the prime minister of Samoa to agree on a $100 million [deal] with Israel to bring over their army,” said Ioane.

‘My Mum is the rightful queen of Samoa’

“For me, my Mum is the rightful queen of Samoa, I’m just protecting her land.”

Ioane’s older brother, Salā, revealed that his sibling had been upset at the time the alleged threats were made and was battling with his mental health, potentially in relation to head knocks suffered during his professional rugby career.

However, Thacker said the prosecution had opposed Ioane’s bail, fearing he would not behave appropriately if he was released.

His brother responded: “To be honest, your honour, this kid won’t even kill a fly.

“I grew up with him… I’ve travelled to France to look after him in his career, and at the time when this was happening, it’s called mental health to me.

“He was just upset at the time, and he said some things at the time, and I had warned him.”

Opinion: The ‘bigger picture’ problem with Australia’s lack of success in Super Rugby and the forgotten Wallaby knocking on the door

During the court proceedings, it was revealed that Ioane had been hospitalised, but had since been discharged.

“He was just saying it out of anger. Believe me, on the field he’s a warrior, but in person he’s not that sort of person,” his brother told the court.

When explaining her decision to deny bail to Ioane, Thacker said the evidence against him appeared to be far too serious to take the risk of releasing him.

“You became obsessed with this person and the evidence from the complainant is that you’ve been threatening to kill him over and over and over again,” she said.

“Until some better information about you is discovered, or you are on medication, you’re an unacceptable risk of reoffending, and it’s unsafe for the alleged victim.

‘Get on some medication as soon as you can’

“So you’ll have to stay in custody but get on some medication as soon as you can, that might make a difference.”

Want more from Planet Rugby? Add us as a preferred source on Google to your favourites list for world-class coverage you can trust.

The case was adjourned to June 8.

Ioane represented the Wallabies in 35 Tests between 2007 and 2013, before signing a lucrative two-year contract with Top 14 heavyweights Stade Francais for the 2013/14 season.

He was one of the Reds’ stars when they were crowned Super Rugby champions in 2011 and spent five years with the Brisbane-based outfit between 2008 and 2013

READ MORE: Wallabies legend starts ‘campaign’ for retired Test prop and names ‘a little bolter’ he would love to see called up by Australia