Former Worcester Warriors chief executive Jim O’Toole has confirmed he has submitted a bid “to ensure the long-term sustainability” of the side.
O’Toole said his plans were dependent on the Warriors being placed into administration, which would lead to an automatic 35-point penalty ahead of 2022/23.
“I can confirm that James Sandford of Atlas SportsTech Limited and I have today submitted a proposal to the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) regarding the funding and the future of Worcester Warriors rugby club,” read a statement from O’Toole.
“This includes a commitment to multi-year operational funding and to meeting the repayment of the long-term government loan.
“The success of this proposal is dependent on the relevant entities being placed into immediate administration which we have encouraged the DCMS to implement.
“We believe we have a compelling, innovative and robust plan to re-engineer the commercial model of the club using the available assets alongside significant input from our American partners to ensure the long-term sustainability of professional rugby for the community, the city and our broader hinterland, while ensuring the legacy of the Duckworth family remains at the heart of the club.”
The Warriors are reportedly close to falling into administration after a winding-up petition over unpaid tax being issued by HM Revenue & Customs last week.
Colin Goldring and Jason Whittingham, the two owners of the Premiership outfit, are opposed to the club going into administration and said they remain in discussions with HMRC, Premiership Rugby, the Rugby Football Union and the DCMS.
Worcester MP Robin Walker had earlier stated he was “deeply concerned” about the situation and called for an urgent meeting with local councils to “ensure that any future proposals for the club and its grounds have the interests of community and the sport at its heart”.
Worcester Warriors are set to kick off the new season against London Irish on Saturday, September 10.