Wasps winning run continues

Date published: February 28 2016

Wasps continue their winning streak and secure a bonus point as they get past Harlequins 42-10 at the Ricoh Arena.

Wasps sealed this game early on, with first half tries from Jake Cooper-Woolley, Christian Wade and Nathan Hughes.

Quins did get themselves into the tie through tries either side of the break from Luke Wallace and Charlie Walker.

But Thomas Young's try 20 minutes from time sealed the bonus point as Wasps made it six wins on the spin for the first time since the 2007/08 season.

Siale Piutau grabbed the fifth, and Brendan Macken claimed number six to well and truly put the gloss on the 42-10 performance.

It was a quiet opening at the Ricoh Arena, but Wasps had far the better of the first 30.

The form team in the Premiership, they came out of the blocks quickly as most of the game was played towards the Quins sticks.

It said a lot for the visiting defence that it took half an hour for Wasps to break them down. Cooper-Wooley it was who finally spotted a gap, stretching over after pressure on the five-metre line. Jimmy Gopperth's first kick of the afternoon went safely through.

The home support didn't have long to wait before getting back on their feet, as Wasps made it 14-0 minutes after the first.

Charles Piutau handled well before offloading to Wade, who charged into the corner before Gopperth kicked through once again.

Harlequins did get themselves into the game before the break though when Wallace crossed the line.

It came following a line-out five metres out, although Ben Botica missed the kick at the posts. But in what became an incredible first 40, Wasps looked like they had the game secured when they got their third try.

Hughes it was who managed to ground, twisting his body to beat a challenge. Gopperth's conversion ensured a 16-point gap was formed as the sides went back in.

The visitors looked much livelier after the restart, regularly entering the Wasps 22 though they had trouble breaking through that barrier.

And eventually, 16 minutes after the second half, they got themselves right back into the tie. After spreading it to the left, Walker edged himself into the corner before Wasps could get bodied around. The conversion was missed again though with Wasps set to break even further ahead.

The bonus point was secured with 20 minutes still to play, in an all-round superb performance by the hosts.

Young and Wade combined superbly in the build up, before the flanker stormed through to seal all the points. The conversion saw the lead go up to 18 points as the game slipped well and truly away from Harlequins.

And it got worse for them. Frank Halai broke through the midfield and offloaded to Piutau. He beat the challenges of three men, with Gopperth converting again.

Not content with the 25 point gap, the hosts went over for their sixth and final try as the clock passed 80 minutes. Macken was the recipient of a quick Halai break, and he sealed it in style giving Alex Lozowski the two points to record a big 42-10 victory.

The scorers:

For Wasps:
Tries: Cooper-Woolley, Wade, Hughes, Young, S Piutau, Macken
Cons: Gopperth 5, Lozowski

For Harlequins:
Tries: Wallace, Walker

Wasps: 15 Rob Miller, 14 Christian Wade, 13 Charles Piutau, 12 Siale Piutau, 11 Frank Halai, 10 Jimmy Gopperth, 9 Dan Robson,8 Nathan Hughes, 7 George Smith, 6 Thomas Young, 5 Kearnan Myall, 4 James Cannon, 3 Jake Cooper-Woolley, 2 Carlo Festuccia, 1 Matt Mullan (c)
Replacements: 16 Ashley Johnson, 17 Tom Bristow, 18 Phil Swainston, 19 Will Rowlands, 20 Alex Rieder, 21 Jamie Stevenson, 22 Ruaridh Jackson, 23 Brendan Macken

Harlequins: 15 Ross Chisholm, 14 Marland Yarde, 13 Winston Stanley, 12 Harry Sloan, 11 Charlie Walker, 10 Ben Botica, 9 Tito Tebaldi, 8 Mat Luamanu, 7 Luke Wallace, 6 James Chisholm, 5 James Horwill (c), 4 George Merrick, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Rob Buchanan, 1 Mark Lambert
Replacements: 16 Dave Ward, 17 Owen Evans, 18 Kyle Sinckler, 19 Charlie Matthews, 20 Beau Robinson, 21 Sam Egerton, 22 Tim Swiel, 23 Matt Hopper

Referee: Craig Maxwell-Keys
Assistant Referees: Andrew Jackson, Kelvin Stewart
TMO: David Grashoff