Wasps strike late to sink Toulouse

Date published: January 14 2017

A 79th minute try from Dan Robson gave Wasps a 17-14 Champions Cup victory over Toulouse at the Ricoh Arena on Saturday.

The win sees Wasps stay within touching distance of Pool 2 leaders Connacht.

An exciting first half had nothing but a solitary penalty to show for it, before Yoann Huget carried over for the Top 14 outfit in the second half.

Elliot Daly soon replied before the visitors were awarded a penalty try, but quick thinking from Robson ultimately won the game less than a minute from time.

Wasps inexplicably failed to open the scoring in the first five minutes when Christian Wade broke free, with Kurtley Beale’s decision to change his angle of approach proving costly.

The hosts continued to work through the gears but to no avail, and two missed penalty kicks from Jean-Marc Doussain meant the score line remained at nil-nil until Jimmy Gopperth’s three-pointer on the half hour mark. For all of Wasps’ attacking endeavour, the first try of the game went the way of the French visitors when wing Huget found his way over, scoring his sixth try in as many games.

Despite his earlier failures from the tee, Doussain added the kick to make it a seven point score. From the restart, Francois Cros collected the ball before being tackled by Christian Wade, who took the number eight beyond the horizontal to be shown a yellow card.

After knocking at the door for over an hour, the hosts finally got their try when Elliot Daly stepped past Thierry Dusautoir to score from 40 metres out. Having gone under the posts, Gopperth added the simple conversion to take his side three points clear.

Going into the final ten minutes, Toulouse’s Vasil Kakovin went over only to have the ball ripped from his hands by Danny Cipriani before grounding, but referee John Lacey penalised the fly-half for entering the preceding maul at the side and awarded a penalty try.

In the final knockings of the encounter, Wasps continued to press, and after being awarded a penalty five metres out, Robson dived for the line having taken it quickly.

Gopperth’s final kick of the game saw Wasps stay in touching distance of Pool leaders Connacht, while Toulouse’s qualification hopes came to an end.

The scorers:

For Wasps:
Tries: Daly, Robson
Cons: Gopperth 2
Pen: Gopperth
Yellow Cards: Wade, Cipriani

For Toulouse:
Tries: Huget, Penalty Try
Cons: Doussain 2

Wasps: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Christian Wade, 13 Elliot Daly, 12 Jimmy Gopperth, 11 Josh Bassett, 10 Danny Cipriani, 9 Joe Simpson, 8 Nathan Hughes, 7 Guy Thompson, 6 Thomas Young, 5 Kearnan Myall, 4 Joe Launchbury, 3 Martin Moore, 2 Ashley Johnson, 1 Matt Mullan
Replacements: 16 Edd Shervington, 17 Simon McIntyre, 18 Phil Swainston, 19 Matt Symons, 20 James Gaskell, 21 Dan Robson, 22 Kyle Eastmond, 23 Frank Halai

Toulouse: 15 Maxime Médard, 14 Kunatani Kunabuli, 13 Yann David, 12 Gael Fickou, 11 Yoann Huget, 10 Jean-Marc Doussain, 9 Sébastien Bézy, 8 Francois Cros, 7 Talalelei Gray, 6 Thierry Dusautoir, 5 Joe Tekori, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Census Johnston, 2 Christopher Tolofua, 1 Cyril Baille
Replacements: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17 Vasil Kakovin, 18 Dorian Aldegheri, 19 Yoann Maestri, 20 Piula Faasalele, 21 Gillian Galan, 22 Toby Flood, 23 Arthur Bonneval

Referee: John Lacey (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: Sean Gallagher (Ireland), Barrie O’Connell (Ireland)
TMO: Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland)