Concerns are growing over the whereabouts of Bulls and Springboks flyer Sbu Nkosi, who has not been seen for three weeks, according to media reports in South Africa.
The 2019 Rugby World Cup winner has not reported for duty at the Pretoria-based franchise since November 14 and efforts to reach him have been fruitless.
A week prior to that, it was confirmed that Nkosi would miss the South Africa ‘A’ tour to Europe due to a rib injury sustained during the Bulls‘ United Rugby Championship (URC) victory over the Sharks at Loftus Versfeld on October 30.
Since his disappearance, the Bulls and his family – particularly his mother – have been unable make contact with Nkosi.
He has now been reported missing to the police and the Bulls are hopeful he is found soon.
“All I can say is that we hope Sbu is at least keeping safe despite his seclusion,” Bulls chief executive Edgar Rathbone told News24 on Saturday morning.
A lot of concern
“We’ve been attempting tirelessly to make contact with him, but these efforts have been in vain to date. Everybody is really concerned.”
Nkosi, who has been struggling with injury issues over the past year, moved to the Bulls from the Sharks in May in a bid to revive his career under the guidance of director of rugby Jake White with whom he has a longstanding relationship.
However, he was sent home early from the Bulls’ URC tour to Europe for breaking protocols when he missed a team meeting, after receiving permission to visit a friend in Dublin.
On Friday, White was asked about Nkosi during his Bulls team announcement for Saturday’s home match against Cardiff, but declined to comment.
“The less I say at the moment, the better,” he said.
Nkosi made his Springbok debut against England in 2018 and has made 16 Test appearances so far, scoring nine tries.