Ulster win at Glasgow

Date published: September 23 2016

Ulster made it four wins out of four in this season's PRO12 as they overcame Glasgow Warriors 22-17 at Scotstoun Stadium on Friday.

The Irish province were the better team in the opening period, going into the break 15-7 ahead through Darren Cave's touchdown and a penalty try, with Paddy Jackson kicking five points.

Glasgow's response before the interval came from Gordon Reid's score and, although they briefly went into lead in the second half via Finn Russell's penalty and Tommy Seymour's effort, Ulster secured the win when Jackson crossed the whitewash.

Les Kiss' men have enjoyed an outstanding start to the season, winning all three of their encounters going into this match, and they duly opened the game with confidence.

Jackson's penalty was reward for their early pressure and that looked to be followed by a try when Jared Payne went over. However, the score, much to the frustration of the visitors, was correctly ruled out for Iain Henderson taking an opponent out beyond the horizontal.

Henderson received a yellow card for that indiscretion but it didn't seem to matter as Ulster managed to atone for that missed opportunity by touching down through Cave.

The outstanding Charles Piutau was the catalyst, breaking down the left-hand side, before the ball was shifted right and the centre crossed the whitewash.

Glasgow hit back when Reid barrelled over the line from close range, but the away team continued to look the more dangerous.

They had a second try ruled out, this time for an obstruction, and it appeared as though the Warriors would hold on until the break, but the Irish province had other ideas. Kiss' side went through the phases and put the ever-dangerous Piutau in space, five metres from the line. Covering defender Leonardo Sarto then led with his shoulder, illegally stopping the All Black from touching down. The Italian wing was duly sin-binned and referee Ian Davies awarded a penalty try as the visitors went into the break 15-7 in front.

Ulster continued to create chances in the second period with Jackson going close, but play was called back 70 metres for an infringement by the visitors. Russell kicked the resultant penalty before the Scottish outfit moved ahead for the first time in the match as an excellently constructed attack ended in Seymour going over.

Stung by that setback having been the better side throughout, the Belfast-based side restored their advantage almost immediately via another wonderful move. Louis Ludik made the initial incursion, displaying searing pace down the right, and after the ball was shifted left, Jackson was on hand to touch down. Glasgow pressed for a late winner but Ulster held on.

The scorers:

For Glasgow:
Tries: Reid, Seymour
Cons: Russell 2
Pen: Russell

For Ulster:
Tries: Cave, Penalty Try, Jackson
Cons: Jackson 2
Pen: Jackson

Glasgow: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Leonardo Sarto, 13 Mark Bennett, 12 Alex Dunbar, 11 Tommy Seymour, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Henry Pyrgos (cc), 8 Ryan Wilson, 7 Lewis Wynne, 6 Tjiuee Uanivi, 5 Jonny Gray (c), 4 Greg Peterson, 3 Zander Fagerson, 2 Fraser Brown, 1 Gordon Reid
Replacements: 16 Pat MacArthur, 17 Alex Allan, 18 Sila Puafisi, 19 Sam Thomson, 20 Matt Fagerson, 21 Ali Price, 22 Nick Grigg, 23 Rory Hughes

Ulster: 15 Jared Payne, 14 Louis Ludik, 13 Darren Cave, 12 Stuart McCloskey, 11 Charles Piutau, 10 Paddy Jackson, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Roger Wilson, 7 Sean Reidy, 6 Iain Henderson, 5 Franco van der Merwe, 4 Alan O'Connor, 3 Rodney Ah You, 2 Rob Herring (c), 1 Andrew Warwick
Replacements: 16 Rory Best, 17 Callum Black, 18 Ross Kane, 19 Pete Browne, 20 Clive Ross, 21 Paul Marshall, 22 Stuart Olding, 23 Rob Lyttle

Referee: Ian Davies (Wales)
Assistant Referees: Greg Morgan (Wales), Sam Grove-White (Scotland)