Treviso make it back-to-back wins

Date published: February 19 2016

Treviso secured only their second win of the season a week after their first with a 19-17 triumph over the Dragons.

Angelo Esposito's early try gave Treviso a seven-point buffer before Hallam Amos' converted score and Angus O'Brien's penalty took Newport in front.

Despite that setback, the Italian outfit were back ahead by the break after Filo Paulo went over and they controlled the opening stages of the second period.

Ludovico Nitoglia crossed the whitewash for their third try to seemingly put Benetton in command, but Cory Hill's touchdown brought the Dragons into contention.

The visitors pressed for a score that would win the game but the home team held on.

Both of these sides have struggled this season in the league and the first half was an unsurprisingly low quality affair.

However, Treviso went into this match full of confidence having secured their first victory of the campaign following a 13-7 success over Cardiff Blues.

The hosts certainly opened with intensity and went ahead after just three minutes when Esposito showed impressive footwork to step the final defender and touch down. Jayden Hayward then converted as the home team took an early 7-0 lead.

That was soon wiped out through wing Amos. Sarel Pretorius, arguably the Dragons' best player in 2015/16, was the instigator and his good work allowed the Wales' international to cross the whitewash. O'Brien added the extras and also kicked a penalty to take Newport 10-7 in front before Benetton regained their advantage on the stroke of half-time.

Paulo was the man to take the ball over the line from close range and, after Hayward converted, the Italian outfit held a four-point buffer at the interval.

Treviso's momentum continued into the second half and Nitoglia's try five minutes after the break meant the hosts were well in control of the encounter.

The visitors initially struggled to muster a response but they re-found their composure and, with a quarter of the match to go, made it a tense finale.

Lyn Jones' men pressurised the Treviso line and their rearguard eventually yielded when Hill powered his way over, but it wasn't enough to snatch the win.

The scorers:

For Treviso:
Tries: Esposito, Paulo, Nitoglia
Cons: Hayward 2

For Dragons: 
Tries: Amos, Hill
Cons: O'Brien
Pen: O'Brien

Treviso: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Ludovico Nitoglia, 13 Luca Morisi, 12 Alberto Sgarbi (c), 11 Angelo Esposito, 10 Sam Christie, 9 Alberto Lucchese, 8 Dean Budd, 7 Marco Lazzaroni, 6 Andrea De Marchi, 5 Tom Palmer, 4 Filo Paulo, 3 Simone Ferrari, 2 Luca Bigi, 1 Cherif Traorè
Replacements: 16 Filippo Filippetto, 17 Matteo Zanusso, 18 Manu Salesi, 19 Jeff Montauriol, 20 Marco Barbini, 21 Robert Barbieri, 22 Chris Smylie, 23 Tommaso Iannone

Dragons: 15 Carl Meyer, 14 Ashton Hewitt, 13 Adam Hughes, 12 Adam Warren, 11 Hallam Amos, 10 Angus O'Brien, 9 Sarel Pretorius, 8 Nick Crosswell, 7 Nic Cudd, 6 Ben White, 5 Rynard Landman, 4 Cory Hill, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Thomas Rhys Thomas (c), 1 Boris Stankovich
Replacements: 16 Rhys Buckley, 17 Hugh Gustafson, 18 Shaun Knight, 19 Matthew Screech, 20 Lewis Evans, 21 Charlie Davies, 22 Geraint Rhys Jones, 23 Ross Wardle

Referee: Andy Brace (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: Marius Liperini, Emanuele Tomo (both FIR)
TMO: Carlo Damasco (FIR)