Three-try Chiefs too good for Reds

Date published: June 6 2015

The Chiefs secured their spot in this year's Super Rugby play-offs after beating the Reds 24-3 in Brisbane on Saturday.

The Hamilton-based side proved too strong for their hosts and first-half tries from Bryce Heem and Liam Messam and a late five-pointer from Charlie Ngatai proved enough to secure victory.

The result moves the Chiefs into joint fourth place with the Highlanders ahead of next weekend's final round of league matches while the Reds remain in 12th spot in the standings.

Emotions were running high in both camps before kick-off as Will Genia and James Horwill were given a terrific send-off by the home crowd in their final match at Suncorp Stadium for the Reds, and a minute's silence was also brilliantly observed for former All Blacks back row Jerry Collins who died in a car crash in France on Friday. 

The victory was a sweet one for the Chiefs who have lost their last four matches against the Reds and it's their first triumph in Brisbane since 2009.

The Reds got their only points as early as the seventh minute after Sam Cane was penalised for breaking away too soon from a scrum in front of the home side's posts.

The rest of the half saw the Chiefs doing most of the attacking and their efforts were rewarded in the 25th minute when after a driving maul from a line-out inside the Reds' 22 Augustine Pulu threw a long pass to Heem who scored opening try.

The visitors' maul proved effective in the build-up to the second try as well and although Andrew Horrell was stopped just short after the ball came out to the backs, captain Messam ran a superb angle before crossing over for his side's second try.

Horrell added the extras to extend the Chiefs' lead and although Michael Leitch was sent to the sin bin shortly before half-time for repeated infringements at the breakdown, the Reds couldn't take advantage of their numerical advantage.

The second half was more subdued with a Horrell penalty in the 51st minute, after Lachie Turner was blown up for a ruck infringement, the first points after the restart.

The game came alive ten minutes before the end when Ngatai added the final nail in the hosts' coffin. After poaching a ball at a line-out on the Reds' five-metre line, the Chiefs took the ball wide and Pulu's long pass found Anton Lienert-Brown in space. 

He offloaded to Ngatai, who cut inside past three defenders to cross over for his side's third try which Horrell duly converted to secure victory. 

The scorers:

For Reds:
Pen: Cooper

For Chiefs:
Tries: Heem, Messam, Ngatai
Cons: Horrell 3
Pen: Horrell
Yellow Card: Leitch

Reds: 15 James O’Connor, 14 Chris Feauai-Sautia, 13 Karmichael Hunt, 12 Samu Kerevi, 11 Lachie Turner, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Will Genia, 8  Jake Schatz, 7 Liam Gill, 6 Adam Thomson, 5 James Horwill, 4 Rob Simmons, 3 Greg Holmes, 2 James Hanson, 1 James Slipper (c)
Replacements: 16 Saia Fainga’a, 17 Pettowa Paraka, 18 Sam Talakai, 19 Ed O’Donoghue, 20 Beau Robinson, 21 Hendrik Tui, 22 Nick Frisby, 23 Ben Tapuai.

Chiefs: 15 Tom Marshall, 14 Bryce Heem, 13 Charlie Ngatai 12 Andrew Horrell, 11 Tim Nanai-Williams, 10 Marty McKenzie, 9 Augustine Pulu, 8 Michael Leitch, 7 Sam Cane, 6 Liam Messam (c), 5 Brodie Retallick, 4 Michael Fitzgerald, 3 Siate Tokolahi, 2 Hika Elliot, 1 Mitchell Graham. 
Replacements: 16 Quentin MacDonald 17 Pauliasi Manu 18 Jarrod Firth 19 Matt Symons 20 Maama Vaipulu 21 Brad Weber 22 Damian McKenzie 23 Anton Lienert-Brown

Referee: Mike Fraser