Single country European finals

Date published: April 30 2015

This weekend's clash between Toulon and Clermont will be the seventh major European final between teams from the same country.

Let's have a look back at how the previous six unfolded:

2003: Toulouse 22-17 Perpignan 

The first final between teams from the same country took place in Dublin. Irish fans had been dreaming of a Munster v Leinster final only for both sides to lose in the semi-finals, and instead Toulouse claimed their second title seven years after winning the inaugural edition.

While the final score makes this one look close, Toulouse were never really threatened, racing into a 19-0 lead thanks to Vincent Clerc's first-half try after a powerful burst from Yannick Jauzion, and the boot of Yann Delaigue.

Manny Edmonds just about kept Perpignan afloat with four penalties of his own, but after they had got back to 19-12, Delaigue's fifth penalty sealed it for Toulouse.

Perpignan's late try from Pascal Bomati might have meant little in the end, but Edmonds' delightful chip to set it up was stunning piece of skill.

2005: Toulouse 18-12 Stade Français (aet)

Just as Toulon will do on Saturday, Toulouse were appearing in their third straight final, having beaten Perpignan in 2003, before Clément Poitrenaud's moment of hesitiation cost them a year later against Wasps.

They wouldn't be denied at Murrayfield, but this tryless affair won't live long in the memory. Stade had the better of the first half thanks to four penalties from David Skrela.

But after trailing 12-6 at the break, Toulouse were the better side in the second half, and while Vincent Clerc was called back for a forward pass when he got away, Jean-Baptiste Elissalde and Frédéric Michalak combined to level matters. The final penalty came six minutes into stoppage time as Stade desperately defended in their 22.

Extra-time went the way of Guy Novès' side, with Michalak adding another penalty and a drop goal as Toulouse claimed their third title, although Novès wasn't on hand for the celebrations after he was escorted away by police for trying to celebrate with his son in the crowd.

2007: Wasps 25-9 Leicester

To date the only all-English final, and also the last time an English side won this competition, but there was a big upset at Twickenham.

Leicester were the dominant side in England that season, and were hoping to complete a historic treble.

Wasps outsmarted them though, with Raphaël Ibanez providing a star turn with a try and an assist as the Tigers twice fell for the same move.

The first try came from a short lineout to Eoin Reddan, who caught the Leicester defence napping to dart over in the corner where Rob Howley had won the title for Wasps three years earlier.

Having been warned, Leicester didn't learn, and later in the first half, Ibanez combined with Simon Shaw who gave the ball straight back for the Frenchman to go over on the opposite side of the field.

That was enough for a 13-9 lead at the break, and the second half saw Alex King knock over three penalties and a drop goal as Wasps cruised to their second title.

2010: Toulouse 21-19 Biarritz

Another all-French final, and another Toulouse win, their fourth in this competition.

This time it was Biarritz who were their victims, with the Basque side falling short in the final for the second time.

They scored the only try on a scorching day in Paris, but the Toulouse pack proved the difference as they powered home.

Dimitri Yachvili had helped his side into an early 9-3 lead, with Florian Fritz's effort from inside his own half all Toulouse could manage in the opening half-hour.

Nine points in seven minutes to close the half was to prove decisive, with David Skrela adding two penalties, and Fritz a drop goal.

Skrela added two drops of his own, as well as a penalty in the second half, making it 21-12 to Toulouse after another Yachvili penalty.

The only try came six minutes from time when Takudzwa Ngwenya burst through before feeding Karmichael Hunt to finish, but the Toulouse scrum allowed them to see out the game.

2012: Leinster 42-14 Ulster

The first all-Irish final was arguably the most one-sided of them all, as Leinster underlined their dominance of the competition with a comprehensive dismantling of Ulster.

Joe Schmidt's side ran in five tries in total in front of a record crowd, with Leinster making it three wins in four years.

Sean O'Brien was the star of the show, and after Ulster had taken an early lead with a Ruan Pienaar penalty, he produced a trademark run to barrel over.

It was more of the same for the second, and while O'Brien was stopped short of the line, the ball came back quickly for Cian Healy to score.

Leading 14-6 at the break, Leinster built on their lead with a penalty try early in the second half after a powerful rolling maul.

Dan Tuohy's try gave Ulster some semblance of hope, as they trailed 24-14, but that was extinguished with tries from Heinke van der Merwe and Sean Cronin to complete the thrashing.

2013: Toulon 16-15 Clermont

A preview of this year's final, and one of the most memorable finals of the lot as Toulon denied Clermont in Dublin.

Outspoken Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal this week admitted it was a 'hold-up', as Clermont dominated large periods of the game.

A penalty apiece was all the sides could manage in the first half, but Clermont flew out of the blocks in the second and Napolioni Nalaga finished off Aurélien Rougerie's break for the first try on 42 minutes.

Morgan Parra's missed conversion from the touchline would prove crucial, but when Brock James went over for the second try, again after great work from Rougerie, Clermont looked in control.

With Toulon trailing 15-6, Wilkinson added his third penalty to get his team back to within a score, but they still needed some help to lead for the first time.

After turning the ball over, Clermont chose to counter attack from their own half, rather than play for territory. They paid the price when Sitiveni Sivivatu couldn't collect the ball in a ruck, with Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe picking his pocket before putting Delon Armitage away.

The former England full-back famously waved at James as he went over, before Wilkinson's conversion gave Toulon a one-point lead.

Clermont gave it everything to come back, but they couldn't manage another score, with David Skrela's rushed drop goal attempt, the closest they came.

Instead it was Toulon, thanks to their impressive defence, who claimed a first European title.