Scarlets claim Glasgow scalp

Date published: November 21 2014

A late Rory Pitman try meant Glagow left Parc y Scarlets empty handed as the home side won 19-9 in a tight Pro12 battle on Friday.

A late try from replacement Rory Pitman meant Glagow left Parc y Scarlets empty handed as the home side won 19-9 in a tight Pro12 battle on Friday.

The win now means that Scarlets have tasted defeat just once in their last six in the competition, and maintain their unbeaten home record.

Steven Shingler – taking kicking duties in place of Wales fly-half Rhys Priestland – traded early penalties with Glasgow fly-half Peter Horne before giving his side a 9-3 lead.

Horne responded with two more penalties to bring the scores level again before Shingler restored the hosts lead, and Pitman’s late try added some breathing space.

Scarlets started the better and after an accurate Aled Davies box kick cleared their lines in the opening minute, quick ball only came to a halt when Harry Robinson couldn’t gather a neat cross-field ball.

A knock-on in contact conceded a scrum on the Glasgow 22 but the visitors were punished for collapsing it, leaving Steve Shingler to send over a routine penalty and open the scoring.

However, Horne soon levelled the scores back up. Robinson came closest to the game’s opening try after 12 minutes, when scrum-half Davies’ kick to the corner narrowly evaded the winger, who had beaten his marker for pace, and skipped into touch.

Shingler’s second penalty soon after gave Scarlets and until Steff Evans’ superb clearing kick on 20 minutes there was little to shout about.

A third Shingler penalty, this his longest yet, sailed between the posts on 26 minutes before the visitors soon began to build up a head of steam, only for a knock-on to halt a string of powerful phases in the opposition half.

A quickly-taken penalty from Davies had Glasgow under pressure shortly before the break but Gareth Owen could quite collect the final pass by the left-hand corner flag as Scarlets settled for a six-point lead at half time.

Peter Murchie streaked his way into the Scarlets half shortly after the break and chipped towards the try line but full-back Evans was deemed to have illegally halted the resulting chase.

The visitors were awarded a penalty, which Horne duly slotted and the fly-half drew his side level on the hour mark after some powerful forward momentum.

That parity was gone just two minutes later when Shingler nudged Scarlets ahead from the tee and the centre soon thought he was over for the opening try.

Bearing down on the corner, only a last-ditch tackle from Chris Fusaro prevented the score and after securing the lineout, Gregor Townsend’s men were able to clear their lines.

A sharp break took Evans close to the line only for dogged defence kept the hosts out over and over again – but they finally made it over as the clock ticked down.

With three minutes left the home side once again bundled their way towards the line and it was Pitman who shoved his way over to make sure of the result, Shingler taking the lead to ten with the conversion.

The game ended with those scores as Glasgow couldn’t secure a third straight win.

The scorers:

For Scarlets:
Try: Pitman
Con: S. Shingler
Pens: S. Shingler 4

For Glasgow:
Pens: Horne 3

Scarlets: 15 Steffan Evans, 14 Harry Robinson, 13 Regan King, 12 Gareth Owen, 11 Michael Tagicakibau, 10 Steven Shingler, 9 Aled Davies, 8 John Barclay (c), 7 James Davies, 6 Aaron Shingler, 5 Johan Snyman, 4 George Earle, 3 Peter Edwards, 2 Kirby Myhill, 1 Rob Evans.
Replacements: 16 Emyr Phillips, 17 Phil John, 18 Jacobie Adriaanse, 19 Rob McCusker, 20 Rory Pitman, 21 Rhodri Williams, 22 Rhys Priestland, 23 Steffan Hughes.

Glasgow Warriors: 15 Peter Murchie, 14 Lee Jones, 13 Richie Vernon, 12 James Downey, 11 Rory Hughes, 10 Peter Horne, 9 Ali Price, 8 Ryan Wilson, 7 Chris Fusaro, 6 Josh Strauss, 5 Al Kellock (c), 4 Tom Ryder, 3 Zander Fagerson, 2 Pat MacArthur, 1 Alex Allan.
Replacements: 16 Kevin Bryce, 17 Jon Welsh, 18 Rossouw de Klerk, 19 James Eddie, 20 Tyrone Holmes, 21 Niko Matawalu, 22 Connor Braid, 23 Glenn Bryce.

Venue: Parc y Scarlets
Referee: David Wilkinson (Ireland)
Assistant referees: Craig Evans (Wales), Jon Mason (Wales)
Television match official: Tim Hayes (Wales)