Perfect start for Glasgow

Date published: October 14 2016

Glasgow Warriors ran in five tries as they dominated Leicester Tigers in the opening Champions Cup game, winning 42-13 at Scotstoun.

Having led early on in the contest, it became anything but one in the later stages as the two-time champions conceded their highest number of points in a European game.

Five tries for the hosts saw them pick up a bonus-point victory which never looked in doubt once they took the lead midway through the first half.

Leicester scored their first points of the competition after a scrappy start which saw six line-outs, with Owen Williams kicking a penalty from the Warriors' 22.

Now behind, Glasgow began to put on the pressure, and came close to taking the lead, but were stopped in their tracks by last ditch defending, but the visitors weren't to be denied twice.

Following a Matt Toomua tackle which saw the fly-half sent to the sin-bin, Finn Russell levelled the score from just inside his own half at 3-3.

The match then exploded into action with Leicester scoring the first try of the feisty affair through Adam Thompstone following a line-out, with Williams converting, but just as Toomua came back to the fray, Glasgow got back on level terms once more, Leonardo Sarto the man to go over, breaking free to dot down at the posts.

From there, Glasgow pushed on and took the lead through Fraser Brown, with the hooker benefitting from sustained pressure from his teammates, leading to nervousness at the back which allowed him to score with Russell making it 17-10.

The eight minute spell of try scoring was completed by scrum-half Henry Pyrgos, who picked up the ball from close range before going over, though Russell was unable to keep up his 100% record from the tee.

Williams was more successful, reducing the deficit to single figures headed into half-time from a 30 metre penalty.

The second half was much more reserved with the opening half an hour providing just two penalties, each scored by Russell to put Glasgow in an almost-unassailable lead headed into the final stretch of the evening.

Centre Mark Bennett was the man who put the result beyond doubt, and handed his side a bonus point. He intercepted inside his own 22 before taking on a marauding run, never looking like he wouldn?t score. Russell added the extras.

Glasgow finished the game in style as Sarto scored his second try, intercepting a pass in his own half before crossing the whitewash beneath the posts, with Russell converting from the easiest of positions.

The scorers:

For Glasgow:
Tries: Sarto 2, Brown, Pyrgos, Bennett
Cons: Russell 4
Pens: Hogg, Russell 2
Yellow Card: Wilson (19 min)

For Leicester:
Try: Thompstone
Con: Williams
Pens: Williams 2
Yellow Cards: Toomua (13 min), Mulipola (59 min)

Glasgow: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Leonardo Sarto, 13 Mark Bennett, 12 Sam Johnson, 11 Rory Hughes, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Henry Pyrgos (cc), 8 Josh Strauss, 7 Ryan Wilson, 6 Rob Harley, 5 Jonny Gray (cc), 4 Tim Swinson, 3 Zander Fagerson, 2 Fraser Brown, 1 Gordon Reid
Replacements: 16 Pat MacArthur, 17 Alex Allan, 18 Sila Puafisi, 19 Matt Fagerson, 20 Lewis Wynne, 21 Ali Price, 22 Nick Grigg, 23 Sean Lamont

Leicester: 15 Telusa Veainu, 14 Adam Thompstone, 13 Mathew Tait, 12 Matt Toomua, 11 Tom Brady, 10 Owen Williams, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Lachlan McCaffrey, 7 Brendon O’Connor, 6 Mike Fitzgerald, 5 Graham Kitchener, 4 Dom Barrow, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Tom Youngs (c), 1 Ellis Genge
Replacements: 16 Harry Thacker, 17 Logovi’i Mulipola, 18 Greg Bateman, 19 Ed Slater, 20 Will Evans, 21 Sam Harrison, 22 Freddie Burns, 23 Peter Betham

Referee: Mathieu Raynal (France)