Ospreys, Glasgow held to a draw

Date published: January 31 2016

Ospreys and Glasgow played out the first draw of the 2015/16 PRO12 season at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday.

The match started off as an extremely competitive affair with both sides displaying great attacking flair and intent.

This saw Eli Walker and Rory Hughes rack up a try apiece for both sides. Both tries were as a result of fantastic, flowing moves in a half which was a fantastic advert for PRO12 rugby. 

The second half continued in a similar vein with Sam Baker in inspirational form for the hosts.

Sam Davies also seized his opportunity in the side with Dan Biggar away on international duty. However, Glasgow's Ryan Wilson put the Warriors in front with half an hour to play as last season's champions sought a turnaround to what has been a poor season.

It was not to be their day as Dan Evans stole in with ten minutes to go to provide Davies with a platform to level the scores for the home side, he was successful and secured the first PRO12 draw since May 2015.

It's a result which sees the Ospreys remain one point ahead of Glasgow with the two sides in seventh and eighth places respectively.

A double salvo of penalties from Duncan Weir gave the Warriors the lead within the first 10 minutes of the match. Davies struck back for the Ospreys with a penalty in the 19th minute following a collapsed maul.

Walker scored the first try of the match in the 23rd minute, a delightfully simple move setting up the winger in to go under the posts from just outside the Glasgow 22. Davies successfully converted to give the hosts a four-point advantage.

Some first-class attacking play gave Glasgow the perfect response just two minutes later, Hughes seizing upon a fantastic offload from Leone Nakarawa to touch down in the corner. Weir followed up with a conversion to restore the visitors' lead.

Davies levelled the scores three minutes after the break with a penalty taking the match to 13-13. It took until the 53rd minute for the next score to come, Glasgow number eight Wilson adjudged by the TMO as the man who touched down following a long spell of Warriors pressure on the Ospreys try-line. The score was converted by Weir taking the visitors up to the 20-point mark.

The hosts drew level in the 69th minute, a flick inside from 22 year old Davies set Evans to score his side's second try of the match. 

Davies converted the try to take the final score to 20-20.

The scorers:

For Ospreys: 
Tries: Walker, Evans
Cons: Davies 2
Pens: Davies 2

For Glasgow: 
Tries: Hughes, Reid
Cons: Weir 2
Pens: Weir 2

Ospreys: 15 Dan Evans, 14 Tom Grabham, 13 Owen Watkin, 12 Josh Matavesi, 11 Eli Walker, 10 Sam Davies, 9 Brendon Leonard (c), 8 Dan Baker, 7 Sam Underhill, 6 Joe Bearman, 5 Rory Thornton, 4 Rynier Bernardo, 3 Dmitri Arhip, 2 Sam Parry, 1 Nicky Smith
Replacements: 16 Scott Otten, 17 Gareth Thomas, 18 Ma’afu Fia, 19 Adam Beard, 20 Olly Cracknell, 21 Tom Habberfield, 22 Ben John, 23 JJ Engelbrecht

Glasgow: 15 Peter Murchie, 14 Lee Jones, 13 Taqele Naiyaravoro, 12 Sam Johnson, 11 Rory Hughes, 10 Duncan Weir, 9 Grayson Hart, 8 Ryan Wilson (c), 7 Chris Fusaro, 6 Rob Harley, 5 Leone Nakarawa, 4 Greg Peterson, 3 Sila Puafisi, 2 Pat MacArthur, 1 Ryan Grant
Replacements: 16 James Malcolm, 17 Gordon Reid, 18 D’arcy Rae, 19. Josh Strauss, 20 James Eddie, 21 Ali Price, 22 Gregor Hunter, 23 Glenn Bryce

Referee: David Wilkinson (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: Ian Davies (Wales), Martyn Lewis (Wales)
TMO: Gareth Simmonds (Wales)