No protest from Scotland against NZ

Date published: July 26 2014

Scotland won't lodge an appeal after New Zealand finished their Commonwealth Games Sevens clash with an illegal number of players.

Scotland's Sevens team will not lodge an appeal after New Zealand finished their Commonwealth Games clash in Glasgow with an illegal number of players on the field.

New Zealand's Tim Mikkelson was yellow carded with one minute and 50 seconds left to play in their Pool A clash. The Kiwis were leading 17-7 at the time and with less than two minutes to play, Mikkelson was not supposed to return to the field.

However, television replays show that the Games' defending champions finished with their full compliment of seven players on the pitch when the full-time hooter sounded.

New Zealand secured a 17-14 victory over Scotland and maintained their record of not having lost a game since rugby was introduced at the Commonwealth Games in 1998.

The defending champions were lucky to secure the win as they were reduced to five players towards the end of the match, after Gilles Kaka was also sent to the sin bin.

Scotland coach Stephen Gemmell said he would not make an official complaint as Mikkelson's return was due to refereeing error.

“An error was made that had no direct impact on the outcome of the game,” he told AAP.

“We had given away a free kick at the line-out as the clock ran down and had given New Zealand the ball,” said Gemmell.

“Like our errors, the referees will analyse their performances and we hope this will be taken on board.”

Kaka returned to the field shortly after Scotland scored a converted try which reduced the score to 17-14 but New Zealand held on until the final whistle, although there is still uncertainty when Mikkelson returned to the action.

The International Rugby Board Sevens general manager Avan Lee said Scotland would have had an hour after the completion of the match to to take the matter furtherbut they didn't give any indication they wished to do so.

“I haven't heard there's an issue about the actual time they were off,” Lee told AAP.

“It was a crucial time in the game. New Zealand only up by three points with only a few seconds to go. Home team. So there were emotions for a lot of people.

“I don't think I've seen five players playing (before).”