Munster edge Glasgow to progress

Date published: January 14 2017

Munster booked their place in the Champions Cup quarter-finals after they beat Glasgow Warriors 14-12 at Scotstoun on Saturday.

The only points in the first half came from the kicking tee. Shots at the posts from Finn Russell and Stuart Hogg were cancelled out by two penalties from Tyler Bleyendaal to leave the scores balanced at 6-6 going into half-time.

Two more penalties from Russell kept the pressure on Munster in the second half. Bleyendaal replied with a three pointer of his own but it was Francis Saili who broke through for the games first and only try to earn a late win for the visitors.

Munster had won four of their five previous games against Scottish opponents in the Champions Cup.

Glasgow got three points on the board when Russell capitalised on a penalty at the scrum.

After fluffing his lines with an earlier attempt Bleyendaal levelled the scores after a high tackle from Lee Jones.

Munster were penalised for not releasing and Hogg made them pay, dissecting the posts from long range. Bleyendaal levelled the scores minutes later to make it 6-6 at the half's end.

Russell and Bleyendaal traded penalties early in the second-half to nudge the score up to 9-9.

Glasgow were awarded a penalty on the back of a maul around the 60 minute mark and Russell put Glasgow ahead by three for the fourth time in the match.

Hogg was sent to the bin with ten minutes left on the clock and the visitors quickly made the extra man count with a match winning try from Saili out on the wing. Bleyendaal missed the conversion but it mattered little as Munster went on to win.

The scorers:

For Glasgow:
Pens: Russell 3, Hogg
Yellow Card: Hogg

For Munster:
Try: Saili
Pens: Bleyendaal 3

Glasgow: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Mark Bennett, 12 Alex Dunbar, 11 Lee Jones, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Ali Price, 8 Josh Strauss, 7 Ryan Wilson, 6 Rob Harley, 5 Jonny Gray (c), 4 Tim Swinson, 3 Zander Fagerson, 2 Fraser Brown, 1 Gordon Reid
Replacements: 16 Pat MacArthur, 17 Alex Allan, 18 D’arcy Rae, 19 Matt Fagerson, 20 Chris Fusaro, 21 Grayson Hart, 22 Nick Grigg, 23 Peter Murchie

Munster: 15 Simon Zebo, 14 Andrew Conway, 13 Jaco Taute, 12 Rory Scannell, 11 Keith Earls, 10 Tyler Bleyendaal, 9 Conor Murray, 8 CJ Stander, 7 Jack O'Donoghue, 6 Peter O'Mahony (c), 5 Donnacha Ryan, 4 Jean Kleyn, 3 John Ryan, 2 Niall Scannell, 1 Dave Kilcoyne
Replacements: 16 Rhys Marshall, 17 James Cronin, 18 Thomas Du Toit, 19 Dave Foley, 20 Billy Holland, 21 Duncan Williams, 22 Ian Keatley, 23 Francis Saili

Referee: Luke Pearce (England)
Assistant Referees: Matthew Carley (England), Wayne Falla (England)
TMO: Graham Hughes (England)