Horne boots Glasgow to victory

Date published: February 21 2015

Two late penalties from Peter Horne gave Glasgow Warriors a 19-16 victory in their Pro12 clash with playoff contenders Ospreys.

After a tight start, it was the home side who set the scoreboard ticking, and it came in the form of a try. Pat MacArthur was the man who opened the scoring, after Glasgow broke strongly in the midfield inside just fourteen minutes.

It was MacArthur's first try for Glasgow, as he dove over in the corner following a strong push forward by the hosts. The try was converted thanks to the boot of Horne.

Ospreys came more into the tie after that early blip, setting about returning to level terms. Sam Davies had two bites of the cherry to get Ospreys back into the match, but failed to take advantage of two kicks at goal as Glasgow maintained their seven point advantage.

Davies did score a penalty after 26 minutes though, kicking a successful penalty through at the third attempt. Davies brought the scores back to within a single point after Glasgow conceded yet another penalty in front of goal, as they failed to get a grip of the game after that early try.

Horne's first penalty of the afternoon was fired through moments before the break, and Glasgow were able to take a four-point advantage into the second period.

Horne missed the chance at restoring a seven point lead when he fired a penalty narrowly wide of the posts six minutes after the break, as Glasgow looked to build a comfortable lead.

The hosts again found themselves deep inside Osprey's 22, resulting in Horne getting another opportunity at the posts, one he didn't pass up as he secured three more points. But Osprey's levelled midway through the second half with their first try.

Tom Grabham dived over the line, and Davies made no mistake from the conversion as the scores were brought back level ahead of an intriguing final 20 minutes.

On the hour mark Davies kicked Ospreys into the lead for the first time all evening with another penalty, but it was Glasgow who arguably had the better of the later stages.

The Scottish side found themselves deep inside Osprey's 22 once again after winning a penalty, and they managed to force a penalty that saw the Scotstoun crowd roar their team back to level terms.

Glasgow were well on top as time wore down, spending most of the final ten minutes peppering the Ospreys try line. They were able to claim another penalty from that spell of pressure, and Horne fired Glasgow back on top.

Davies was given the opportunity to level once again, but his difficult kick out near the side of the pitch sailed wide, to the relief of most of the 6000 crowd in attendance. And that proved to be the last effort for Ospreys to get back in the match, as Glasgow saw out the remaining few minutes to secure a narrow, hard fought victory.

The scorers:

For Glasgow:
Cons: Horne
Pens: Horne 4

For Ospreys:
Tries: Grabham

Cons: Davies

Pens: Davies 3 

Glasgow Warriors: 15 Peter Murchie, 14 Niko Matawalu, 13 Richie Vernon, 12 Fraser Lyle, 11 DTH van der Merwe, 10 Peter Horne, 9 Ali Price, 8 Josh Strauss, 7 Tyrone Holmes, 6 James Eddie, 5 Al Kellock (c), 4 Leone Nakarawa, 3 Rossouw de Klerk, 2 Pat MacArthur, 1 Ryan Grant
Replacements: 16 Kevin Bryce, 17 Alex Allan, 18 Zander Fagerson, 19 Fraser McKenzie, 20 Will Bordill, 21 Connor Braid, 22 Rory Hughes, 23 Glenn Bryce

Ospreys: 15 Dan Evans, 14 Tom Grabham, 13 Jonathan Spratt, 12 Josh Matavesi, 11 Dafydd Howells, 10 Sam Davies, 9 Martin Roberts, 8 Dan Baker, 7 Justin Tipuric, 6 James King, 5 Tyler Ardron (c), 4 Tevita Cavubati, 3 Aaron Jarvis, 2 Scott Baldwin, 1 Ryan Bevington
Replacements: 16 Scott Otten, 17 Marc Thomas, 18 Dmitri Arhip, 19 Rory Thornton, 20 Joe Bearman, 21 Ieuan Jones, 22 Tom Habberfield, 23 Hanno Dirksen

Referee: George Clancy (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: Andrew McMenemy (Scotland), Neil Paterson (Scotland)
TMO: Jim Yuille (Scotland)