Hanrahan try gives Munster draw

Date published: February 21 2015

Late tries from Felix Jones and JJ Hanrahan helped Munster recover to pick up a 25-25 draw at the Scarlets in their Guinness PRO12 clash on Saturday.

Scarlets took the lead at half time courtesy of four successful penalty attempts for Steve Shingler.

Munster replied with two penalties of their own for Ian Keatley but were trailing 12-6 at the half-time whistle.

Scarlets' Hadleigh Parkes scored a try in the second half and Shingler added two further penalties. However Munster fought back with three tries for Jack O'Donoghue, Jones and Hanrahan to secure the 25-25 draw.

It was a close-fought game between the two sides from the off but first blood went to Scarlets, with a penalty for Shingler on just three minutes. Keatley replied with one of his own for Munster before both Shingler and Keatley took it in turns to score another.

The Scarlets fly-half added two more penalties to his tally but Keatley missed his opportunity on 33 minutes to leave six points between the two sides.

Just two minutes before half time, Duncan Williams was shown a yellow card for an unnecessary use of the boot and this silly mistake could have proved crucial in the opening minutes of the second half for Scarlets, as they played against 14 men.

Despite having 70 percent of the possession in the first half, Munster were behind 12-6 at half-time.

Munster opened the scoring in the second half after some prolonged pressure on the Scarlets line and after a number of attempts fell short, O'Donoghue finally found the line to score and put his team in the lead.

However, Shingler soon changed that with another successful penalty and then Scarlets were in for their try just a minute later.

The initial charge down by Aaron Shingler allowed for Parkes to crash over for the try and gave Scarlets a nine-point lead.

Shingler added another three points before his team mate George Earl was shown a yellow card in the 74th minute. This proved to be the Scarlets downfall as just a minute later, Jones spun over the line in the corner to score for Munster and made for a tense final few minutes.

It was a hugely physical final five minutes from Munster and Scarlets simply could not hold out as Hanrahan dived straight under the posts on 80 minutes and the following conversion for Keatley secured the 25-25 draw.

The scorers:

For Scarlets:
Try: Parkes
Con: Shingler
Pen: Shingler 6
Yellow Card: Earle

For Munster:
Tries: O'Donoghue, Jones, Hanrahan
Con: Keatley 2
Pen: Keatley 2

Yellow Card: Williams

Scarlets: 15 Jordan Williams, 14 Harry Robinson, 13 Regan King, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 Michael Tagicakibau, 10 Steven Shingler, 9 Aled Davies, 8 John Barclay, 7 James Davies, 6 Aaron Shingler, 5 Johan Snyman, 4 Lewis Rawlins, 3 Peter Edwards, 2 Ken Owens (c), 1 Phil John.
Replacements: 16 Ryan Elias, 17 Rob Evans, 18 Jacobie Adriaanse, 19 George Earle, 20 Rob McCusker, 21 Gareth Davies, 22 Rhys Priestland, 23 Kristian Phillips.

Munster: 15 Felix Jones, 14 Andrew Conway, 13 Keith Earls, 12 Denis Hurley (c), 11 Luke O'Dea, 10 Ian Keatley, 9 Duncan Williams, 8 CJ Stander, 7 Tommy O'Donnell, 6 Dave O'Callaghan, 5 Billy Holland, 4 Donnacha O'Callaghan, 3 Stephen Archer, 2 Kevin O'Byrne, 1 Dave Kilcoyne.
Replacements: 16 Eusebio Guinazu, 17 John Ryan, 18 BJ Botha, 19 Jack O'Donoghue, 20 Paddy Butler, 21 Neil Cronin, 22 JJ Hanrahan, 23 Ivan Dineen.

Referee: Dudley Phillips (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: Ben Whitehouse (Wales), Greg Morgan (Wales)
TMO: Derek Bevan (Wales)