Griquas edge out Pumas

Date published: September 13 2014

Griquas brought the high-flying Pumas back down to earth as Gouws Prinsloo kicked 26 points in their 31-27 victory in Kimberley.

Griquas full-back Gouws Prinsloo kicked an impressive eight penalties to hand his side a 31-27 victory over the Pumas on Saturday.

It was only their second victory in this year's competition but came against the high-flying Pumas.

Prinsloo put the Sharks to the sword with his accurate kicking last week in Durban and produced a stellar kicking performance at GWK Park in Kimberley to give his side a much-needed victory.

Griquas started well, with Prinsloo giving his side an early lead via a penalty in the third minute. What ensued after that was a hard, physical match where neither team gave an inch.

Prinsloo was again called into action in the 21st minute and kicked another solid penalty to give Griquas a hard fought lead of just six points.

He repeated the feat just three minutes later to give the Kimberley-based side a nine-point lead.

It took them almost half an hour, but the Pumas finally got on the scoreboard when fly-half Justin van Staden succeeded with a penalty with ten minutes left in the first half.

A minute later van Staden reduced Griquas lead to three points as it became evident that the result would depend on who would be the better kicker on the day.

Prinsloo and van Staden exchanged penalties once again before Pumas scrum-half Reynier van Rooyen burst through for the first try of the afternoon after good work from Rosko Specman.

Van Staden could not convert, but it gave the Pumas the lead for a short while. On the stroke of half-time, Griquas winger PJ Vermeulen broke the tackle and dotted down with Prinsloo converting to give the hosts a half-time lead of 19-11.

Prinsloo started the second half with his fifth penalty of the afternoon after which he and van Staden continued to trade penalties. Prinsloo thereafter kicked his seventh penalty of the day to give the Griquas a solid lead.

The Pumas kept on fighting and center JW Jonker hit back with his five-pointer, which van Staden converted to bring the visitors back within seven points.

He narrowed the gap even more when he kicked another penalty, echoed by Prinsloo minutes later to give Griquas some breathing space.

Six minutes from full-time, replacement fly-half JC Roos kicked a penalty to bring the Pumas within four points, but Griquas' defence held out the last couple of minutes to secure only their second victory of the competition.

The scorers:

For Griquas:
Try: Vermeulen
Con: Prinsloo
Pens: Prinsloo 8

For Pumas:
Tries: Van Rooyen, Jonker
Cons: Van Staden
Pens: Van Staden 4, Roos

Griquas: 15 Gouws Prinsloo, 14 Ederies Arendse, 13 Jonathan Francke, 12 Doppies la Grange, 11 PJ Vermeulen, 10 Francois Brummer (c), 9 Tian Meyer, 8 Ruaan Lerm, 7 Carel Greeff, 6 Marnus Schoeman, 5 Jaco Nepgen, 4 Hilton Lobberts, 3 Ewald van der Westhuizen, 2 Martin Bezuidenhout, 1 Steph Roberts.
Replacements: 16 Ryno Barnes, 17 Maks van Dyk, 18 Hugo Kloppers, 19 Burger Schoeman, 20 RJ Liebenberg, 21 Abrie Griesel, 22 Dean Grant.

Pumas: 15 Coenie van Wyk, 14 Jerome Pretorius, 13 JW Jonker, 12 Stefan Watermeyer, 11 Rosko Specman, 10 Justin van Staden, 9 Reynier van Rooyen, 8 Renaldo Bothma, 7 Uzair Cassiem, 6 Corne Steenkamp (c), 5 Lubabalo Mtyanda, 4 Frikkie Spies, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Francois du Toit, 1 Corne Fourie.
Replacements: 16 Frankie Herne, 17 DeJay Terblanche, 18 Marius Coetzer, 19 Jaco Bouwer, 20 Sinovuyo Nyoka, 21 JC Roos, 22 JW Bell.

Referee: Craig Joubert
Assistant Referees: Rodney Bonaparte, Francois de Bruin