Griquas break their duck in style

Date published: September 12 2015

Griquas secured their first victory of the season by defeating the Pumas 32-15 in Kimberley on Saturday.

The home side outscored the Pumas by four tries to two with Carel Greeff leading the way for Griquas with a brace of tries in the first half, and Jacquin Jansen Jonathan Janse Van Rensburg also dotted down after the break to secure a bonus point for Hawies Fourie's team.

The visitors battled for large periods and although they fought back bravely in the second half with tries from Marnus Schoeman and Rosco Spekman, it wasn't enough as Griquas appeared hungrier for the result.

Griquas' first half effort laid the groundwork for this victory although questions will be asked of Pumas coach MJ Mentz, who decided to ring the changes to his starting line-up after a narrow defeat against the Sharks last weekend.

Justin van Staden and Clinton Swart traded early penalties before Greeff got the game's opening try in the eighth minute which Swart converted. Greeff was rewarded for fine support play when he gathered a pass from Riaan Viljoen, who offloaded after regathering his own up-and-under. 

Griquas' dominance continued as the half progressed and they extended their lead in the 22nd minute when Greeff went over in the corner for his second try, after the ball went through several pairs of hands in the Pumas' 22 in the build-up.

The hosts kept up the pressure for the rest of the half while the Pumas were battling to get going. The visitors suffered a setback when their captain Faf de Klerk received a yellow card for taking Greeff out illegally at a ruck.

Depsite their numerical advantage, Griquas couldn't add to their lead and were up 15-3 at half-time.

The hosts continued to dominate and added their third try five minutes after the restart when Jansen dotted down but that was the wake-up call the Pumas needed.

Thy had a great opportunity to strike back in the 60th minute but, after a superb build-up, De Klerk knocked on with the tryline begging.

The visitors put that disappointment behind them shortly afterwards when ex Griquas stalwart Schoeman and Spekman dotted down to narrow the hosts' lead to 10 points. Spekman's try was a spectacular solo effort after he gathered the ball deep inside his half.

Griquas didn't panic and secured their bonus point try shortly before full-time when Janse Van Rensburg barged over from close quarters.

For Griquas:
Tries: Greeff 2, Jansen, Janse Van Rensburg
Cons: Swart 2, Prinsloo
Pens: Swart 2

For Pumas:
Tries: Schoeman, Spekman
Con: Van Staden
Pen: Van Staden
Yellow card: De Klerk

Griquas: 15 Riaan Viljoen, 14 Ruhan Nel, 13 Jonathan Francke, 12 Clinton Swart, 11 Jacquin Jansen, 10 Francois Brummer, 9 Tian Meyer (c), 8 Carel Greeff, 7 Jonathan Adendorf, 6 Johan Wessels, 5 Hugo Kloppers, 4 Jaco Nepgen, 3 Stephan Kotze, 2 AJ Le Roux, 1 Steph Roberts.
Replacements: 16 Martin Bezuidenhout, 17 Danie Mienie, 18 Ewald Van Der Westhuizen, 19 Jonathan Janse Van Rensburg, 24 Wendal Wehr, 21 Dylan Frylinck, 22 Gouws Prinsloo.

Pumas: 15 Hoffman Maritz, 14 Bernardo Botha, 13 Jerome Pretorius, 12 Deon Helberg, 11 Rosco Spekman, 10 Justin van Staden, 9 Faf de Klerk (k), 8 Jason Colin Fraser, 7 Uzair Cassiem, 6 Marnus Schoeman, 5 Giant Mtyanda 4 Rudi Mathee, 3 De-Jay Terblanche, 2 Francois du Toit, 1 Corne Fourie. 
Replacements: 16 Frank Herne, 17 Khwezi Mona, 18 Marius Coetzer, 19 Jaco Bouwer, 20 Reynier van Rooyen, 21 Henne Skorbinski, 22 Wilmaure Louw.

Referee: Jaco van Heerden