Glasgow see off the Dragons

Date published: September 30 2016

Glasgow made it three wins from five games in the PRO12 this season as they beat the Dragons 26-17 at Rodney Parade on Friday.

Tries from forwards Corey Flynn and Alex Allan sealed the win for the Scots, and were backed up by a superb performance off the tee from Finn Russell.

The Dragons replied with two tries of their own, as Sam Hobbs and Jack Dixon carried over in quick succession following the half-time interval.

The Dragons had gone from trailing by 13 points to a one point lead, but were not able to see the result out.

Russell kicked the first points of the night, before doubling Glasgow's lead after 25 minutes.

Despite the slow start, it took just two minutes following Russell's second kick for Flynn to score the first try of the game, carrying over from the back of a dominant Warriors maul.

Fraser Brown was shown to the sin-bin six minutes before half time, after failing to tackle with the use of his arms. Nick Macleod opened the Dragons' account with the resulting penalty kick, but Russell found an immediate reply from the tee.

The Dragons looked like they'd cross the whitewash for the first time just before the break as they moved up the field with a succession of 14 phases, but it came to nothing and Glasgow went in with a 16-3 lead.

The hosts' patience finally paid off as Hobbs made his way across the try-line shortly after half time, burrowing over from close range to allow the boot of Macleod to reduce the deficit further.

Just five minutes later Glasgow fly-half Russell was caught out trying to play out from the back, and after Macleod dislodged the ball in the tackle, Dixon collected it before a quick exchange with Hallam Amos saw him score in the corner. The Dragons' number 10 followed his excellent tackling with a conversion of the same calibre, slotting a fine kick from the touchline.

The Dragons' lead was short lived however, as loose-head prop Allan showed the guile of a wing to step past Matthew Screech and run it home from 25 metres and score under the posts, giving Russell his most simple kick of the night which made the scores 24-17 in Glasgow's favour.

After the Dragons were penalised for offside, Russell's final penalty of the night snatched the losing point from the hands of Kingsley Jones' men.

The scorers:

For Dragons:
Tries: Hobbs, Dixon
Cons: Macleod 2
Pen: Macleod

For Glasgow:
Tries: Flynn, Allan
Cons: Russell 2
Pens: Russell 4

Dragons: 15 Carl Meyer, 14 Pat Howard, 13 Sam Beard, 12 Jack Dixon, 11 Hallam Amos, 10 Nick Macleod, 9 Sarel Pretorius, 8 Lewis Evans (c), 7 Nic Cudd, 6 Nick Crosswell, 5 Rynard Landman, 4 Matthew Screech, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Thomas Rhys Thomas, 1 Sam Hobbs
Replacements: 16 Rhys Buckley, 17 Thomas Davies, 18 Craig Mitchell, 19 Cory Hill, 20 Harrison Keddie, 21 Charlie Davies, 22 Angus O'Brien, 23 Tom Prydie

Glasgow Warriors: 15 Peter Murchie, 14 Tommy Seymour 13 Mark Bennett, 12 Alex Dunbar, 11 Rory Hughes, 10 Finn Russell, 9 Henry Pyrgos (cc), 8 Josh Strauss, 7 Fraser Brown, 6 Lewis Wynne, 5 Jonny Gray (cc), 4 Rob Harley, 3 Sila Puafisi, 2 Corey Flynn, 1 Alex Allan
Replacements: 16 Pat MacArthur, 17 Djustice Sears-Duru, 18 D'arcy Rae, 19 Robert McAlpine, 20 Matt Fagerson, 21 Ali Price, 22 Rory Clegg, 23 Leonardo Sarto

Referee: Andrew Brace (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: Frank Murphy (Ireland)
TMO: Kevin Beggs (Ireland)