Exeter hammer sorry Welsh

Date published: March 8 2015

Exeter piled more misery on London Welsh with thumping 74-19 win at Sandy Park to move up to second in the Aviva Premiership.

The Chiefs ran in ten tries in a one-sided affair, although Welsh did manage three tries of their own.

Exeter had lost just once in their last six, whilst Welsh's torrid season had continued last week at the hands of London Irish.

But it was the visitors who made the most positive start, and they were deserved leaders following tries in the first 20 minutes from Seb Stegmann and Nathan Trevett.

Trevett dived over from short range after five minutes before Stegmann snapped up Tristan Roberts' kick.

Roberts converted the second try and though the Chiefs stayed in touch through two penalty goals from Henry Slade, the visitors could take great encouragement from their start.

But the competition's bottom club failed to build on their positive opening effort, allowing Exeter in for four tries in the final 16 minutes of the first half.

Will Chudley, Tom James, Slade and Matt Jess all crossed the whitewash, and Slade was brutally accurate with the boot, converting each of the tries to make it 34-12 at half-time.

Much like the first half, it took the Chiefs a while to get going after the restart. They eventually extended their lead just shy of the hour when Thomas Waldrom crossed following good work at the maul.

Steenson took over the kicking duties and added the conversion, and a penalty try moments later helped the Chiefs gain further momentum.

Ian Whitten added to the tally when he crashed over 15 minutes from time, before another penalty try and Waldrom's second compounded Welsh's misery.

Although the visitors did have the last say when Stegmann nipped over for his second, it was meagre consolation as Exeter ran riot.

The scorers:

For Exeter:
Tries: Chudley, James, Yeandle, Jess, Slade, Waldrom 2, Penalty 2, Whitten
Cons: Slade 5, Steenson 4
Pens: Slade 2

For London Welsh:
Tries: Trevett, Stegmann 2
Cons: Roberts, Davies

The teams:

Exeter Chiefs: 15 Phil Dollman, 14 Tom James, 13 Ian Whitten, 12 Sam Hill, 11 Matt Jess, 10 Henry Slade, 9 Will Chudley, 8 Thomas Waldrom, 7 Don Armand, 6 Dave Ewers, 5 Damian Welch, 4 Dean Mumm (c), 3 Tomas Francis, 2 Jack Yeandle, 1 Carl Rimmer.
Replacements: 16 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 17 Brett Sturgess, 18 Alex Brown, 19 Mitch Lees, 20 Ben White, 21 Dave Lewis, 22 Gareth Steenson, 23 Byron McGuigan.

London Welsh: 15 Elliot Kear, 14 Seb Stegmann, 13 Nic Reynolds, 12 James Tincknell, 11 Alan Awcock, 10 Tristan Roberts, 9 Rob Lewis, 8 Opeti Fonua, 7 Richard Thorpe (c), 6 Lachlan McCaffrey, 5 James Down, 4 Ben West, 3 Taione Vea, 2 Nathan Morris, 1 Nathan Trevett.
Replacements: 16 Rob Elloway, 17 Eddie Aholelei, 18 Jack Gilding, 19 Matt Corker, 20 Chris Hala'ufia, 21 Alex Davies, 22 Will Robinson, 23 Tom May.

Venue: Sandy Park
Referee: Craig Maxwell-Keys
Assistant referees: Peter Huckle & Andrew Pearce
TMO: Geoff Warren