Challenge Cup Wrap: Edinburgh, Blues, Brive all win

Date published: January 15 2017

All the latest results from Saturday's five Challenge Cup matches across Europe from Round 5 of the competition.

Timisoara Saracens p-p Stade Français
Dan Paltinisanu Stadium

Match postponed due to frozen pitch.

Timisoara Saracens: 15 Catalin Fercu, 14 Madalin Lemnaru, 13 Brian Sefanaia, 12 Jack Umaga, 11 Stephen Shennan, 10 Jody Rose, 9 Valentin Calafeteanu, 8 Vasile Rus, 7 Dorin Lazar, 6 Daniel Gabriel Ianus, 5 Marian Drenceanu, 4 Valentin Popirlan, 3 Horatiu Pungea, 2 Andrei Radoi, 1 Edmund Aholelei
Replacements: 16 Eugen Capatana, 17 Samuel Maris, 18 Sione Halalilo, 19 Ionut Muresan, 20 Marian Gorcioaia, 21 Gabriel Conache, 22 Florin Popa, 23 Tevita Manumua

Stade Français: 15 Djibril Camara, 14 Julien Arias, 13 Waisea Vuidarvuwalu, 12 Théo Millet, 11 Josaia Raisuqe, 10 Herman Meyer Bosman, 9 Clement Daguin, 8 Willem Alberts, 7 Patrick Sio, 6 Sylvain Nicolas, 5 Pascal Papé, 4 Mathieu De Giovanni, 3 Giorgi Melikidze, 2 Laurent Panis, 1 Zurabi Zhvania,
Replacements: 16 Craig Burden, 17 Aled De Malmanche, 18 Benjamin Espinal, 19 Paul Gabrillagues, 20 Raphael Lakafia, 21 Arthur Coville, 22 Jules Plisson, 23 Jérémy Sinzelle

Referee: Mike Adamson (Scotland)

Harlequins 18-23 Edinburgh
The Stoop

Edinburgh pulled off an impressive away win at The Stoop, with tries from Fraser McKenzie and Allan Dell helping them to a 23-18 win.

Duncan Weir and Tim Swiel traded early penalties before McKenzie grabbed the game's first try in the 26th minute, converted by Weir for a 10-3 advantage.

Harlequins then lost back-row James Chisholm to a yellow card and Weir and Swiel yet again traded kicks to make it 13-6 by the break.

Dell's try in the 54th minute then opened up a comfortable cushion on the scoreboard after Weir's conversion, moving them ahead by 14 points, but in their bid to get back into the contest Harlequins once again were reduced to 14 after losing Dave Ward.

Weir's three points made it 23-6 with less than ten minutes to go to guarantee the win, Harlequins grabbing late consolation tries through Mat Luamanu and Joe Gray.

The scorers:

For Harlequins:
Luamanu, Gray
Con: Jackson
Pens: Swiel 2
Yellow Cards: Chisholm, Ward

For Edinburgh:
Tries: McKenzie, Dell
Cons: Weir 2
Pens: Weir 3

Harlequins: 15 Mike Brown, 14 Marland Yarde, 13 Alofa Alofa, 12 Joe Marchant, 11 Charlie Walker, 10 Tim Swiel, 9 Danny Care, 8 Jack Clifford, 7 Dave Ward, 6 James Chisholm, 5 Charlie Matthews, 4 George Merrick, 3 Kyle Sinckler, 2 Rob Buchanan, 1 Dan Murphy
Replacements: 16 Joe Gray, 17 Adam Jones, 18 Matt Shields, 19 Mat Luamanu, 20 Luke Wallace, 21 Karl Dickson, 22 Ruaridh Jackson, 23 Matt Hopper

Edinburgh: 15 Blair Kinghorn, 14 Damien Hoyland, 13 Chris Dean, 12 Phil Burleigh, 11 Tom Brown, 10 Duncan Weir, 9 Sean Kennedy, 8 Cornell Du Preez, 7 Hamish Watson, 6 Magnus Bradbury, 5 Ben Toolis, 4 Fraser McKenzie, 3 WP Nel, 2 Ross Ford, 1 Allan Dell
Replacements: 16 Neil Cochrane, 17 Jack Cosgrove, 18 Simon Berghan, 19 Lewis Carmichael, 20 Viliame Mata, 21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 22 Jason Tovey, 23 Michael Allen

Referee: David Wilkinson (Ireland)

Treviso 0-41 Gloucester
Ghirada Sports Centre (Treviso Training Ground)

Gloucester cruised past Treviso to keep up the pace with La Rochelle at the top of Pool 1 in the Challenge Cup.

Wales hooker Richard Hibbard scored two of his side's six tries, with James Hook and Scotland's Matt Scott also crossing the whitewash in Italy.

The match was originally set to take place earlier in the day at the Stadio Comunale di Monigo but had to be postponed due to a frozen pitch. Officials later moved the match to Treviso's training ground.

Greig Laidlaw opened the scoring in the third minute with a penalty before Hook, playing at full-back, scored the game's first try before the end of the first quarter, converted by Laidlaw for a 10-0 lead.

Hibbard then crashed over off the back of Gloucester's rolling maul to make it 17-0 by half-time. Quick tries from Scott and Hibbard midway through the second half then secured the bonus-point victory in tricky conditions.

David Halaifonua and Billy Twelvetrees crossed late on to put the icing on the win.

The scorers:

For Gloucester:
Tries: Hook, Hibbard 2, Scott, Halaifonua, Twelvetrees
Cons: Laidlaw 2, Burns 2
Pen: Laidlaw

Treviso: 15 Luke McLean, 14 Andrea Buondonno, 13 Tommaso Benvenuti, 12 Alberto Sgarbi, 11 Luca Sperandio, 10 Tommy Allan, 9 Giorgio Bronzini, 8 Marco Barbini, 7 Robert Barbieri, 6 Marco Lazzaroni, 5 Filo Paulo, 4 Marco Fuser, 3 Tiziano Pasquali, 2 Ornel Gega, 1 Federico Zani
Replacements: 16 Roberto Santamaria, 17 Alberto de Marchi, 18 Matteo Zanusso, 19 Dean Budd, 20 Braam Steyn, 21 Edoardo Gori, 22 Ian McKinley, 23 Tommaso Iannone

Gloucester: 15 James Hook, 14 Charlie Sharples, 13 Matt Scott, 12 Billy Twelvetrees, 11 Jonny May, 10 Billy Burns, 9 Greig Laidlaw, 8 Ben Morgan, 7 Jacob Rowan, 6 Ross Moriarty, 5 Jeremy Thrush, 4 Tom Savage, 3 John Afoa, 2 Richard Hibbard, 1 Josh Hohneck,
Replacements: 16 Darren Dawiduik, 17 Yann Thomas, 18 Paul Doran-Jones, 19 Joe Latta, 20 Lewis Ludlow, 21 Willi Heinz, 22 Andy Symons, 23 David Halaifonua

Referee: Thomas Charabas (France)

Pau 21-22 Cardiff Blues
Stade du Hameau

Steven Shingler's late penalty clinched a one-point victory for Cardiff Blues on the road in France against Pau.

Overall the inside centre finished with 17 of his side's points, Willis Halaholo grabbing the Blues only try as they were outscored on that front by their hosts by three scores to one.

Shingler struck first in the third minute off the tee but it was two tries from wing Lucas Dupichot and scrum-half Julien Tomas which helped Pau out to a 14-6 lead with conversions from Brandon Fajardo, which was how the score remained at half-time.

Another three points from Shingler chipped away at the lead before Cardiff Blues went ahead, Halaholo scoring and Shingler's conversion making it 16-14.

Shingler's next penalty to make it 19-14 gave the Blues some breathing room before the crowd erupted after Pierre Dupouy touched down to put Pau back ahead at 21-19. Shingler's late strike however meant it was the Welsh side who were celebrating at the end.

The scorers:

For Pau:
Dupichot, Tomas, Dupouy
Cons: Fajardo 3

For Cardiff Blues:
Try: Halaholo
Con: Shingler
Pens: Shingler 5

Pau: 15 Charly Malie, 14 Louis Dupichot, 13 Pierre Dupouy, 12 Watisoni Votu, 11 Mosese Ratuvou, 10 Brandon Fajardo, 9 Julien Tomas, 8 Paddy Butler, 7 Sean Dougall, 6 Ben Mowen, 5 Daniel Ramsay, 4 Masalosalo Tutaia, 3 Malik Hamadache, 2 Quentin Lespiaucq Brettes, 1 Julien Jacquot
Replacements: 16 Lucas Rey, 17 Jérémy Hurou, 18 Sylvain Charlet, 19 Baptiste Pesenti, 20 Giovanni Habel Kuffner, 21 Taniela Moa Teutau, 22 Marvin Lestremeau, 23 Romain Buros

Cardiff Blues: 15 Matthew Morgan, 14 Cory Allen, 13 Willis Halaholo, 12 Steven Shingler, 11 Rhun Williams, 10 Nicky Robinson, 9 Tomos Williams, 8 Josh Navidi, 7 Sam Warburton, 6 Macauley Cook, 5 James Down, 4 Jarrad Hoeata, 3 Tau Filise, 2 Matthew Rees, 1 Corey Domachowski
Replacements: 16 Kirby Myhill, 17 Anton Peikrishvili, 18 Scott Andrews, 19 Seb Davies, 20 Cam Dolan, 21 Lloyd Williams, 22 Garyn Smith, 23 Alex Cuthbert

Referee: Gary Conway (Ireland)

Brive 14-14 Worcester Warriors
Stade Amédée-Domenech

Gaëtan Germain's late penalty snatched victory for Brive over Worcester late on Saturday, with the ever-reliable full-back stepping up.

Worcester broke the deadlock after a scoreless first quarter through openside flanker Marco Mama, converted by Canada international Connor Braid, with that 7-0 lead remaining up until half-time.

Poutasi Luafutu helped Brive to respond straight away after the interval, tying the score up at 7-7.

Once again Worcester went ahead through a try from prop Val Rapava Ruskin, whose move to Gloucester for next season was confirmed this week.

Guillaume Ribes' converted try levelled things up again as the second half went down to the wire, until Germain stepped up to snatch the win.

The scorers:

For Brive:
Luafatu, Ribes
Cons: Lapeyre, Germain
Pen: Germain

For Worcester:
Tries: Mama, Ruskin
Cons: Braid, Mills

Brive: 15 Benjamin Lapeyre, 14 Taku Ngwenya, 13 Romain Cabannes, 12 Sevanaia Galala, 11 Benito Masilevu, 10 Matthieu Ugalde, 9 Vasil Lobzhanidze, 8 Fabien Sanconnie 7 Dominiko Waqaniborutu, 6 Poutasi Luafutu, 5 Arnaud Mela, 4 Johan Snyman, 3 Soso Bekoshvili, 2 Thomas Acquier, 1 Damien Lavergne
Replacements: 16 Guillaume Ribes, 17 Kevin Buys, 18 Damien Jourdain, 19 Jan Uys, 20 Said Hireche, 21 Jean-Baptiste Pejoine, 22 Christopher Tuatara, 23 Gaetan Germain

Worcester Warriors: 15 Ben Howard, 14 Perry Humphreys, 13 Max Stelling, 12 Connor Braid, 11 Dean Hammond, 10 Jamie Shillcock, 9 Luke Baldwin, 8 Matt Cox, 7 Marco Mama, 6 Huw Taylor, 5 Will Spencer, 4 Andrew Kitchener, 3 Bi Alo, 2 Joe Taufete'e, 1 Ryan Bower
Replacements: 16 Jack Singleton, 17 Val Rapava Ruskin, 18 Mike Daniels, 19 Darren Barry, 20 Sam Betty, 21 George DeCothi, 22 Jonny Arr, 23 Ryan Mills

Referee: Ian Davies (Wales)