Bonus-point win for Munster

Date published: January 16 2016

Munster exacted revenge over Stade Français for last week's heavy defeat as they beat the French side 26-13 at Thomond Park on Saturday.

Tries from Mike Sherry and Keith Earls meant that Munster took a lead into the half-time break as they looked to bounce back from their Paris showing

In the second-half they threatened to throw the match away as Ronan O'Mahony was sent to the sin-bin for a reckless aerial challenge before Jonathan Ross scored a try to give the visitors hope.

Nonetheless, victory was secured with tries from Simon Zebo and CJ Stander.

The bonus-point victory sees Munster move 10 points clear of Treviso in Pool 4. They are still four points adrift of Stade, who host leaders Leicester in match day six, as Anthony Foley's side travel to the Italian strugglers.

The first try of the match was scored by Munster's Sherry in the 18th minute following a driving line-out which was touched down by the hooker. Ian Keatley missed the conversion to leave the hosts with a two point lead following Morné Steyn's early penalty.

Following a strong Stade scrum in the 22nd minute Steyn had a chance to restore the away side's lead but his long range effort was wide of the mark.

In the 36th minute, interference at the line-out allowed the South African international to put his side into a 5-6 lead with half-time imminent.

However, the lead did not last long as Earls scored a magnificent try. The Ireland international spotted a gap in the visitors' defence on the halfway line before crossing under the posts. Keatley converted to give the hosts a 12-6 half-time lead.

Just a minute after the break, Munster extended their lead; Zebo seizing upon a chip from Keatley to cross the whitewash. Keatley converted to give the hosts a strong 13 point advantage.

In the 49th minute the hosts were reduced to 14 men as O'Mahony was shown a yellow card after a collison in the air with Hugo Bonneval.

The home side survived the sin-bin period but were pegged back just minutes later as an overthrown lineout allowed Ross to cross for a try. Steyn converted to make the score 19-13 with 20 minutes to play.

Munster produced a great response as five minutes later Conor Murray took a quick tap before Stander burrowed through the Stade defence to score his side's fourth try of the match. Keatley converted to restore the hosts' 13 point lead which they held onto until the end.

The scorers:

For Munster:
Tries: Sherry, Earls, Zebo, Stander
Con: Keatley 3

For Stade Français:
Try: Ross
Con: Steyn
Pen: Steyn 2

Munster: 15 Simon Zebo, 14 Keith Earls, 13 Francis Saili, 12 Rory Scannell, 11 Ronan O'Mahony, 10 Ian Keatley, 9 Conor Murray, 8 CJ Stander (c), 7 Tommy O'Donnell, 6 Billy Holland, 5 Mark Chisholm, 4 Dave Foley, 3 Mario Sagario, 2 Mike Sherry, 1 Dave Kilcoyne.
Replacements: 16 Kevin O'Byrne, 17 Liam O'Connor, 18 John Ryan, 19 Donnacha Ryan, 20 Robin Copeland, 21 Jack O'Donoghue, 22 Tomás O'Leary, 23 Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino.

Stade Français: 15 Hugo Bonneval, 14 Waisea Vuidarvuwalu, 13 Jonathan Danty, 12 Paul Williams, 11 Julien Arias, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Julien Dupuy, 8 Sergio Parisse, 7 Jono Ross, 6 Sekou Macalou, 5 Pascal Papé, 4 Paul Gabrillagues, 3 Rabah Slimani, 2 Laurent Panis, 1 Zak Taulafo.
Replacements: 16 Zurabi Zhvania, 17 Heindrick van der Merwe, 18 Paul Alo Emile, 19 Hugh Pyle, 20 Sylvain Nicolas, 21 Julien Tomas, 22 Jules Plisson, 23 Jérémy Sinzelle.

Referee: JP Doyle (England)
Assistant Referees: Tom Foley (England), Paul Dix (England)
TMO: Graham Hughes (England)