Anglo-Welsh Cup wins for Bath, Sale and Wasps

Date published: November 11 2017

Bath launched a great fightback to beat Leicester in the Anglo-Welsh Cup and there were wins for Sale and Wasps over Saracens and Ospreys on Friday.

Bath 33-31 Leicester

Bath continued with their fine start to the tournament when they beat the champions in a thrilling encounter at the Recreation Ground.

Leicester drew first blood courtesy of a Tom Hardwick penalty in the ninth minute and they extended their lead when Jonah Holmes dotted down seven minutes later.

Hardwick converted before Freddie Burns kicked two penalties for the home side but the visitors extended their lead when Adam Thompstone scored their second try in the 35th minute.

Just before half-time, former Tiger, Burns, scored Bath's first try which meant Leicester held a 17-13 lead at the break.

Burns added a second penalty shortly after the restart before the Tigers struck back via another Holmes try in the 45th minute. Burns reduced the deficit with another penalty shortly afterwards but a Ben White try on the hour-mark gave Leicester more breathing space.

That was the last time they would score points, however, as a Zach Mercer five-pointer gave Bath a glimmer of hope. And just before full-time, they were awarded a penalty try after the Tigers were penalised several times at the scrum and that score secured a memorable win for the home side.

The scorers:

For Bath:
Burns, Mercer, Penalty try
Cons: Burns 2
Pens: Burns 4

For Leicester:
Holmes 2, Thompstone, White
Cons: Hardwick 4
Pen: Hardwick

Bath: 15 Tom Homer, 14 Jack Wilson, 13 Max Clark, 12 Matt Banahan, 11 Levi Davis, 10 Freddie Burns, 9 Max Green, 8 Paul Grant, 7 Josh Bayliss, 6 Matt Garvey (c), 5 James Phillips, 4 Levi Douglas, 3 Scott Andrews, 2 Michael van Vuuren, 1 Nick Auterac
Replacements: 16 Jack Walker, 17 Will Vaughan, 18 Sam Nixon, 19 Elliott Stooke, 20 Zach Mercer, 21 Darren Allinson, 22 Harry Davies, 23 Darren Atkins

Leicester Tigers: 15 Harry Simmons, 14 Jonah Holmes, 13 Jordan Olowofela, 12 Charlie Thacker, 11 Adam Thompstone, 10 Tom Hardwick, 9 Ben White, 8 Fred Tuilagi, 7 Tommy Reffell, 6 Sam Lewis, 5 Dan Tuohy, 4 Harry Wells, 3 Chris Baumann, 2 Harry Thacker (c), 1 Kyle Traynor
Replacements: 16 Jake Kerr, 17 Owen Hills, 18 Ben Betts, 19 Joe Maksymiw, 20 Harry Mahoney, 21 Sam Wager, 22 Will Yarnell, 23 Ravai Fatiaki

Referee: Greg Macdonald (England)
Assistant referees: Clare Daniels (England), Lionel Spooner (England)
TMO: Geoff Warren (England)

Ospreys 12-36 Wasps

Wasps dominated the early exchanges and raced into a 19-0 lead after Antonio TJ Harris, Brendan Macken and Guy Armitage scored tries within the first 20 minutes.

The Ospreys struck back through tries from Reuben Morgan-Williams and Ifan Williams which meant Wasps led 19-12 at the interval.

The visitors continued to dominate and extended their lead in the 44th minute courtesy of a try from Springbok back-row Nizaam Carr, who was making his debut for Wasps.

Connor Eastgate converted before adding a penalty in the 50th minute and they sealed their win in the 62nd minute when Macken crossed for his second try.

The scorers:

For Ospreys:
Morgan-Williams, I Williams 
Con: Price

For Wasps:
Tries: Harris, Macken 2, Armitage, Carr
Cons: Eastgate 4
Pen: Eastgate

Ospreys: 15 Phil Jones, 14 Dafydd Howells, 13 Tom Williams, 12 Kieran Williams, 11 Jay Baker, 10 Luke Price (c), 9 Reuben Morgan-Williams, 8 Morgan Morris, 7 Will Jones, 6 Joe Tomalin-Reeves, 5 Rory Thornton, 4 James Ratti, 3 Rhodri Jones, 2 Ifan Phillips, 1 Gareth Thomas
Replacements: 16 Hugh Gustafson, 17 Rowan Jenkins, 18 Alex Jeffries, 19 Matthew Dodd, 20 Jay Williams, 21 Matthew Aubrey, 22 Cai Evans, 23 Rhys Williams

Wasps: 15 Owain James, 14 Aaron O’Sullivan, 13 Brendan Macken, 12 Jacob Umaga, 11 Guy Armitage, 10 Connor Eastgate, 9 Craig Hampson, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Will Owen, 6 Jack Willis (c), 5 Matt Symons, 4 Marcus Garratt, 3 Will Stuart, 2 Antonio TJ Harris, 1 Paul Doran Jones
Replacements: 16 Gabriel Oghre, 17 George Thornton, 18 David Langley, 19 Guy Borrowdale, 20 James Seabrook, 21 Joe Simpson, 22 Taju Atta, 23 Josh Grimes

Referee: Christophe Ridley (England)
Assistant referees: Morgan Whitehead (Wales), Jamie Morgan (Wales)

Sale Sharks 29-22 Saracens

Sale delivered a superb second-half effort which paved the way to a deserved victory after the visitors were the dominant side early on.

Sarries led 19-13 at the break thanks largely to the goalkicking of Max Malins, who slotted four penalties, and their other points came via a converted Will Skelton try.

AJ MacGinty kicked three penalties and also converted a Ben Curry try during the opening period. The second half started brightly for Sale when Will Cliff added a penalty and Alexandru Tarus scored their second try which gave them a 21-19 lead after 51 minutes.

Malins kicked another penalty in the 57th minute which put his side back in front but another MacGinty penalty and a Mike Haley try in the 69th minute, was enough to help Sale clinch the result.

For Sale Sharks:
Curry, Tarus, Haley
Con: MacGinty
Pens: MacGinty 3, Cliff

For Saracens:
Con: Malins
Pens: Malins 5

Sale Sharks: 15 Mike Haley, 14 Byron McGuigan, 13 Luke James, 12 Cameron Redpath, 11 Arron Reed, 10 AJ MacGinty, 9 Will Cliff, 8 Josh Strauss (c), 7 Ben Curry, 6 Sam Moore, 5 Matt Postlethwaite, 4 George Nott, 3 Alexandru Tarus, 2 Curtis Langdon, 1 James Flynn
Replacements: 16 Marc Jones, 17 Jake Pope, 18 WillGriff John, 19 David Seymour, 20 Nic Dolly, 21 Matt Sturgess, 22 Kieran Wilkinson, 23 Connor Doherty

Saracens: 15 Matt Gallagher, 14 Nathan Earle, 13 Rotimi Segun, 12 Nick Tompkins, 11 Mike Ellery, 10 Max Malins, 9 Tom Whiteley, 8 Ben Earl (c), 7 Joel Conlon, 6 Jack Nay, 5 Mark Flanagan, 4 Will Skelton, 3 Kieran Longbottom, 2 Scott Spurling, 1 Richard Barrington
Replacements: 16 Tadgh McElroy, 17 Hayden Thompson-Stringer, 18 Billy Walker, 19 Danny Cutmore, 20 Sean Reffell, 21 Ben Spencer, 22 Rueben Bird-Tulloch, 23 Ali Crossdale

Referee: Rhys Thomas (Wales)
Assistant referees: Jonathan Healy (England), Phil Watters (England)