Former All Black considering retirement after snub

Date published: July 19 2019

Former New Zealand wing Zac Guildford has revealed he could hang up his boots following a recent snub from Waikato ahead of the Mitre 10 Cup.

Guildford, 30, returned to his home country earlier this year after a stint in France but has not been offered a contract by the Mooloos.

And that has left the former Hurricanes, Crusaders, Clermont and Waratahs finisher with a decision to make regarding his playing future.

“There’s that little bit of me that thinks I have unfinished business in rugby, but there’s another side of me that’s telling me to walk away,” he told Stuff.

Guildford has had problems with alcohol and depression and hoped a change of scenery in France would benefit him. However, in an interview with the New Zealand Herald in February, he admitted that being close to family was important to him as he came home from club side Nevers.

“I moved to France because I thought I was ready to stand on my own two feet and earn some good money and play rugby but I realised I need to be around family,” he said.

“There were no incidents like there had been in the past. Me and the club left on good terms and I wish them all the best and have good relationships with all the boys.

“It was just mentally, for me, I needed to come home. I didn’t want to spiral out of control again. I’ve only been home five days and already my heart feels a lot fuller.”