Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal insists that he did not block Bakkies Botha from joining the Bok squad because he was never called up.
Earlier this week Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer told a media conference in Auckland that "Bakkies is on stand-by" following Eben Etzebeth's citing for a headbutt. When Etzebeth was subsequently banned for two weeks, it was expected that the 76-cap Bok would fly out to New Zealand.
But on Tuesday Toulon manager Bernard Laporte stated in no uncertain terms that Botha would play for RCT against Montpellier on Saturday, sparking widespread reports that a call had been blocked.
The player, however, used his Twitter account to put the rumours to bed.
"Reports suggesting that my Club and/ or Coach prevents me to play for the Springboks are untrue. Good night tweeters," Botha tweeted.
On Wednesday, Boudjellal clarified the situation, saying that Botha had never received a formal call-up.
"According to our information today, he hasn't been called up," said the Toulon boss.
"We'll have to check that he doesn't show up to training with a suitcase and then get straight onto an aeroplane, because if he is playing on Saturday, he'll have to leave today."