Williams braced for Munster backlash

Date published: March 3 2017

Cardiff Blues number eight Nick Williams expects a backlash from Munster this Saturday after the Irish side suffered a rare loss last week.

Munster’s defeat to the Scarlets ended a nine-match winning run in the PRO12, with a trip over to Cardiff Arms Park their next fixture.

Williams, who spent two years with Munster, knows they will be a wounded animal this week and warned his men to be on their game.

“Any team that goes up has to come down and they will be on a low and gunning for us on Saturday afternoon. We have to be ready for that and be prepared for the big onslaught Munster can put up,” he told the Cardiff Blues website.

“This season Munster have gone back to what they know best which is their power game, it’s not the prettiest way to play but it’s very effective and they all buy into it.

“They definitely play with a lot of heart and there’s been big things that have happened behind the scenes, with the passing of Axel, that will pick up any team.

“They had their first home defeat since that happened, against the Scarlets last week so they will be tough.

“We always talk about their power game but you have to remember we have one of our own as well and we want to put that out on Saturday.

“The Munster’s of old have always started up front so hopefully we can negate that and go from there.”

Four points off the top six positions, this is a crucial game for Cardiff Blues and Williams admits it’s now becoming “make-or-break”.

He said: “We spoke about the four games from Connacht until this one being a big, make-or-break block for us.

“We have an idea of how many points we want out of this block and realistically if things go our way on the weekend we’ll come out on the right side of that.”

COMMENTS