Weeks remains a Rebel

Date published: December 3 2014

494218493_3149798

Rebels prop Laurie Weeks has signed a two-year contract extension that will keep him in Melbourne until at least the end of 2017.

Rebels prop Laurie Weeks has signed a two-year contract extension that will keep him in Melbourne until at least the end of the 2017 Super Rugby season.

The Wallaby front-rower moved to Melbourne for the Rebels’ inaugural 2011 season, and his re-signing puts him on track to be the first player to feature in a century of matches for the franchise.

The 2009 Super Rugby Rookie of the Year has been an ever-present performer in Melbourne, making 53 appearances since moving to the club and making a Test debut in front of his home crowd at Etihad Stadium against France in June 2014.

Rebels’ Head Coach Tony McGahan said tying Weeks down to a longer deal in Melbourne had been a priority.

“Laurie is an integral member of the club,” McGahan said.

“Not only is he a foundation player, but he is also a leader amongst the playing group. His game is improving on the back of a strong work ethic that has delivered him his first taste of international rugby.

“His attitude which sees him constantly seek improvement, coupled with Laurie’s playing ability, make him a wonderful asset. He is our most-capped current Rebel, and we are thrilled that he sees his long-term future here in Melbourne.”

“When it came down to the decision, I just thought about where I really enjoy playing footy, and that’s here in Melbourne,” said Weeks.

“I am really excited about where we are as a team; our coaching staff is at the best level it has ever been, and I am really excited about continuing to work with Tony McGahan.

“The coaches and program here really helped me become a Wallaby, and in the last year, Tony has helped me play my best footy, so it’s great working under him.”

COMMENTS