Wasps end eight-year wait at Leicester

Date published: September 10 2016

Wasps won away at Welford for the first time since 2008 with an excellent performance to defeat Leicester 34-22.

A last-gasp try from Jimmy Gopperth secured a try-scoring bonus point, as well as snatching the losing bonus point away from the hosts.

The Tigers began to find a way back in to the game, but were made to play for their ill discipline as Ellis Genge and Peter Betham were sent to the sin-bin.

Wasps centre Gopperth opened the scoring from the tee after early pressure saw Leicester penalised, before Freddie Burns levelled the scores at 3-3 from distance.

Gopperth immediately restored his side’s lead with a penalty, before an excellent break allowed him to kick through for Christian Wade to pounce and score the first try of the game. To continue a fine display, Gopperth added the extras points with the conversion.

Despite the best efforts of Joe Simpson, Tigers’ Lachlan McCaffrey was next power his way over the whitewash and touch down, although Burns was unable to add the conversion.

Guy Thompson then extended Wasps’ lead after evading the tackle of Michael Fitzgerald to score in emphatic fashion, diving over the line to give Gopperth another shot at the posts, which he took with ease.

Sam Jones, with the help of hooker Tommy Taylor, burrowed his way over the line on 46 minutes to score from close range, with the Wasps’ centre slotting another conversion.

An excellent break from Burns saw him collect his own up-and-under, before clever hands allowed Ed Slater the chance to go over in the corner, however the provider’s conversion attempt sailed narrowly wide with the score at 27-13.

Burns continued to chip away at the arrears, with three penalties spread either side of a yellow card for Wasps’' Thompson, saw the deficit reduced to five points.

After a late tackle saw Genge sent to the bin, and an intentional knock on gave Betham the same fate, Wasps made the most of their numerical advantage as Gopperth made amends for two missed penalties by carrying over out wide to secure a bonus point, before slotting the conversion with the final kick of the game.

The scorers:

For Leicester:
Try: McCaffrey, Slater
Pens: Burns 4
Yellow Cards: Genge, Betham

For Wasps:
Try: Wade, Thompson, Jones, Gopperth
Cons: Gopperth 4
Pens: Gopperth 2
Yellow Card: Thompson

Leicester: 15 Mathew Tait, 14 Adam Thompstone, 13 Peter Betham, 12 Matt Smith, 11 JP Pietersen, 10 Freddie Burns, 9 Sam Harrison, 8 Lachlan McCaffrey, 7 Brendon O'Connor, 6 Luke Hamilton, 5 Mike Fitzgerald, 4 Ed Slater, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Tom Youngs (c), 1 Marcos Ayerza  
Replacements: 16 George McGuigan, 17 Ellis Genge, 18 Greg Bateman, 19 Graham Kitchener, 20 Mike Williams, 21 Ben Youngs, 22 Owen Williams, 23 Jack Roberts

Wasps: 15 Rob Miller, 14 Christian Wade, 13 Elliot Daly, 12 Jimmy Gopperth, 11 Josh Bassett, 10 Danny Cipriani, 9 Joe Simpson, 8 Guy Thompson, 7 Thomas Young, 6 Sam Jones, 5 Matt Symons, 4 Joe Launchbury (c), 3 Marty Moore, 2 Tommy Taylor, Simon McIntyre    
Replacements: 16 Ashley Johnson, 17 Matt Mullan, 18 Jake–Cooper Woolley, 19 James Gaskell, 20 Nathan Hughes, 21 Craig Hampson, 22 Brendan Macken, 23 Frank Halai

Referee: Greg Garner
Assistant Referees: Ross Campbell, Wayne Falla
TMO: Sean Davey