Valuable win for Connacht

Date published: November 30 2014

Connacht picked up some vital points in the race for European qualification in a 14-8 win over the Scarlets in the Pro12.

Connacht picked up some vital points in the race for European qualification in a 14-8 win over the Scarlets in the Pro12.

Scarlets had won their last five encounters with Connacht and were many peoples favourites going into this match.

The Welsh region started the first half impressively, getting points on the board via a penalty in the first minute.

Harry Robinson then scored the first try of the match to give the visitors an 8-0 lead.

Connacht got three points back before half-time but were happy to only be behind by five as they were dominated by the Llanelli-based side.

Connacht played like a different team in the second half. Jack Carty scored two penalties either side of a Matt Healy try to steal victory from the visitors as Connacht won 14-8.

Steve Shingler put the first points on the board when Connacht conceded a penalty after just a minute.

Two minutes later, Carty misjudged a kick from within the Scarlets half. The ball bounced awkwardly and Robinson got on the end of it to slide over for a try.

Shingler missed the conversion to keep the score at 8-0. Carty slotted a penalty after 19 minutes to conclude the scoring for the half at 3-8 before Scarlets were pinged at the scrum after 45 minutes and Carty capitalised shrinking the gap to just 6-8.

Momentum was then in the hands of Connacht. After 49 minutes, McSharry shifted the ball to Matt Healy who judged a kick perfectly ahead of him and scored in the left corner of the field.

Another conversion is missed this time by Carty leaving the score at 11-8. It was a slippery night and when Scarlets conceded a scrum after 63 minutes the last thing the visitors needed was to concede a penalty. Carty didn’t disappoint the home support ending the match 14-8.

The scorers:

For Connacht:
Try: Healy
Pens: Carty 3

For Scarlets:
Try: Robinson
Pen: Shingler

Connacht: 15 Mils Muliaina, 14 Danie Poolman, 13 Bundee Aki, 12 Dave McSharry, 11 Matt Healy, 10 Jack Carty, 9.Kieran Marmion, 8 George Naoupu, 7 Eoin McKeon, 6 John Muldoon (c), 5 Andrew Browne, 4 Quinn Roux, 3 Rodney Ah You, 2 Tom McCartney, 1 Denis Buckley.
Replacements: 16 Dave Heffernan, 17 Ronan Loughney, 18 Finlay Bealham, 19 Mick Kearney, 20 Willie Faloon, 21 John Cooney, 22 Craig Ronaldson, 23 Darragh Leader.

Scarlets: 15 Steffan Evans, 14 Harry Robinson, 13 Michael Tagicakibau, 12 Regan King, 11 Kristian Phillips, 10 Steven Shingler, 9 Aled Davies, 8 John Barclay (c), 7 James Davies, 6 Aaron Shingler, 5 Johan Snyman, 4 George Earle, 3 Peter Edwards, 2 Kirby Myhill, 1 Phil John.
Replacements: 16 Ryan Elias, 17 Wyn Jones, 18 Jacobie Adriaanse, 19 Lewis Rawlins, 20 Rory Pitman, 21 Kieran Hardy, 22 Josh Lewis, 23 Gareth Owen.

Referee: Leighton Hodges (Wales)
Assistant Referees: Nigel Correll (Ireland), Brian MacNeice (Ireland)
TMO: Seamus Flannery (Ireland)