Uruguay star player pulls out of RWC

Date published: June 25 2015

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Rodrigo-Capo-Ortega-Castres-v-La-Rochelle-Top_3247521

Uruguay have been dealt a major blow with the news that their best player, Rodrigo Capo Ortega, will not play at the World Cup.

The 34-year-old Castres second row was a key player for his country as they qualified for this year's tournament.

Ortega had previously spoken excitedly about representing his country at the World Cup, where Uruguay are pooled with England, Fiji, Wales and Australia.

However his club, Castres, have told the Daily Telegraph that Ortega will not be playing in the tournament because of personal reasons.

“It is not Castres’ reasons. Rodrigo decided not to go to the World Cup by himself," a spokesman told the English newspaper.

Uruguayan spokesman Ignacio Chans was understandably frustrated by the decision.

“All the communication we had with Rodrigo was that he desperately wanted to be playing and had a high resolution to play.

"He is one of the best players and very important for the team.”

The same report suggests that Ortega's decision may have been influenced by pressure from his club not to travel to the World Cup and to remain with Castres for the start of the Top 14 season.

Players from Tier Two countries having to choose between playing internationally or for their club has been a common topic of conversation in recent months, as Dan Leo, the former Samoa lock, revealed to Planet Rugby back in May.

New Zealand are the favourites with BetBright to retain their World Cup title.

 

COMMENTS