Unbeaten Saracens thrash Oyonnax

Date published: December 13 2015

Saracens retained their unbeaten statusin Pool One after notching a 45-10 victory over Oyonnax at Stade Charles Mathon on Sunday.

The visitors dominated from the outset and outscored their hosts six tries to one as they secured their bonus point by the 48th minute.

Sarries were typically clinical in the first half with Alex Goode and Chris Wyles going over, while referee Marius Mitrea awarded a penalty try. 

Rory Clegg scored a penalty for the French outfit before the break but his fellow Englishman, Owen Farrell, was impressive for the visitors, kicking nine points from the tee. Farrell added to his tally after the interval as Maro Itoje secured the bonus-point with the fourth try before Richard Wigglesworth touched down for their fifth. 

Arthur Aziza went over for Oyonnax to provide some consolation but Saracens' replacement hooker Schalk Brits crossed the whitewash in the last minute. 

This encounter continued the English side's outstanding start to the campaign with their forward power proving too much for the hosts. That dominance was displayed early on as they earned a penalty after only seven minutes, which Farrell converted. 

The scrum was also a profitable weapon and, following a dominant drive, Mitrea awarded a penalty try as Saracens moved 10-0 ahead. 

Clegg did reduce the deficit with a three-pointer but last season's Premiership winners were too experienced for the Champions Cup novices. 

They scored two tries in quick succession off first-phase ball. Firstly, good work from Wyles sent Goode scampering across the whitewash before the Sarries' left winger was rewarded for his performance after latching onto Will Fraser's pass. 

With the score 24-3 in the visitors' favour at half-time the game was effectively over, the only question was whether they would manage to gain the bonus-point. 

It was duly answered early in the second period when another superb move resulted in Itoje going over following Michael Rhodes' off-load. Rhodes was then involved a minute later when he set-up Wigglesworth with half-an-hour remaining. 

Oyonnax could have folded but, despite being outclassed, they battled for the final 30 minutes and managed to touch down for the first time through Aziza. 

However, the last word was left to Sarries and Brits crossed the line from close range.

The scorers:

For Oyonnax:
Try: Aziza
Con: Lespinas
Pen: Clegg

For Saracens:
Tries: Penalty Try, Goode, Wyles, Itoje, Wigglesworth, Brits
Cons: Farrell 5, Hodgson
Pen: Farrell

Oyonnax: 15 Quentin Etienne, 14 Silvere Tian, 13 Guillaume Bousses, 12 Alaska Taufa, 11 Dug Codjo, 10 Rory Clegg, 9 Fabien Cibray, 8 Pedrie Wannenburg, 7 Olivier Missoup, 6 Valentin Ursache, 5 Geoffrey Fabbri, 4 Leon Power, 3 Horace Pungea, 2 Jeremie Maurouard, 1 Soane Tonga'uiha.
Replacements: 16 Thomas Bordes, 17 Lukas Rapant, 18 Marc Clerc, 19 Antoine Guillamon, 20 Pierrick Gunther, 21 Florian Faure, 22 Arthur Aziza, 23 Regis Lespinas.

Saracens: 15 Alex Goode, 14 Chris Ashton, 13 Marcelo Bosch, 12 Brad Barritt (c), 11 Chris Wyles, 10 Owen Farrell, 9 Richard Wigglesworth, 8 Billy Vunipola, 7 Will Fraser, 6 Michael Rhodes, 5 Maro Itoje, 4 Jim Hamilton, 3 Juan Figallo, 2 Jamie George, 1 Mako Vunipola.
Replacements: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Rhys Gill, 18 Petrus Du Plessis, 19 Kelly Brown, 20 Jackson Wray, 21 Neil De Kock, 22 Charlie Hodgson, 23 Mike Ellery.

Referee: Marius Mitrea (Italy)
Assistant Referees: Matteo Liperini (Italy), Stefano Pennè (Italy)
TMO: Carlo Damasco (Italy)