Unbeaten Leicester see off Munster

Date published: December 20 2015

Unbeaten Leicester Tigers consolidated their position at the top of Pool 4 after securing a 17-6 victory over Munster at Welford Road on Sunday.

Munster were competitive for most of the match but Vereniki Goneva's late second-half try sealed Leicester's win.

Leicester started this vital Champions Cup tie, in a roaring atmosphere created by both sets of supporters. The visitors of Munster struck first from a penalty, Ian Keatley firing the first three pointer seven minutes following a couple of bursts down the left wing.

Keatley had the chance to double that advantage six minutes after, but his kick from 40 metres didn't find the sticks. The visitors started the finer, but that was brought to a halt with the first try of the night.

After breaking into the final 22 via a catch and drive, Tigers piled on the pressure as they bore down on the try line. And despite a brave defensive effort, Ed Slater stormed over to put Tigers into the lead for the first time.

Freddie Burns added two more to open up a bit of a gap between the sides. He increased that further with his second kick of the night, a precise penalty which made it seven points between the sides.

That came after Munster penned in their hosts in the corner, but possession was turned over just like it looked like Munster would retake the lead.

On the brink of half-time, Tigers lost a man when Dom Barrow was shown a yellow card for offside, and that gave Keatley the chance to add three points and reduce the Tigers lead to four at the break.

The hosts started the second half on top again and really should have extended their advantage, only to see a certain try fall apart metres from the line when Francis Saili was hauled in deep inside the Tigers' 22 by Telusa Veainu.

Burns had the opportunity to add three further points and open up a cushion again, but missed a penalty kick midway through the second.

But despite this, Tigers did extend their lead. Goneva burst through after a heap of Tigers pressure, and sealed the game with Leicester's second of the night.

After he went in underneath the posts, Burns had the simple task of converting and that is how the game finished, Tigers sealing a straight forward 17-6 victory.

The scorers:

For Leicester Tigers:
Tries: Salter, Goneva
Cons: Burns 2
Pen: Burns
Yellow card: Barrow (40th minute – professional foul)

For Munster:
Pens: Keatley 2

Leicester: 15 Telusa Veainu, 14 Adam Thompstone, 13 Peter Betham, 12 Matt Smith, 11 Vereniki Goneva, 10 Freddie Burns, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Lachlan McCaffrey, 7 Brendon O'Connor, 6 Ed Slater, 5 Graham Kitchener, 4 Michael Fitzgerald, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Tom Youngs, 1 Marcos Ayerza.
Replacements: 16 Harry Thacker, 17 Matias Aguero, 18 Fraser Balmain, 19 Dom Barrow, 20 Tom Croft, 21 Sam Harrison, 22 Thomas Bell, 23 Seremaia Bai.

Munster: 15 Andrew Conway, 14 Keith Earls, 13 Francis Saili, 12 Denis Hurley, 11 Simon Zebo, 10 Ian Keatley, 9 Conor Murray, 8 CJ Stander, 7 Dave O'Callaghan, 6 Robin Copeland, 5 Donnacha Ryan, 4 Mark Chisholm, 3 John Ryan, 2 Mike Sherry, 1 James Cronin.
Replacements: 16 Niall Scannell, 17 Dave Kilcoyne, 18 Mario Sagario, 19 Dave Foley, 20 Jack O'Donoghue, 21 Tomas O'Leary, 22 Rory Scannell, 23 Lucas Amorosino.

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Assistant Referees: Thomas Charabas (France), Salem Attalah (France)
TMO: Jean-Marie Piraveau (France)