Tui signs new Reds contract

Date published: April 29 2016

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Hendrik_Tui_Reds_Super_Rugby_2016

Reds loose forward Hendrik Tui has re-signed with the Brisbane-based outfit through to the end of 2017.

The New Zealand-born Japanese Test player has been in fine form for the Reds in 2016. Playing in just his second season of Super Rugby, Tui currently leads all loose forwards in the competition for carries (93) and has beaten the second most number of defenders (28). He is also the second most productive attacking threat for the Reds, behind Samu Kerevi. 

Tui, who was part of the Japan side which defeated the Springboks at last year’s Rugby World Cup, said he was thrilled to be staying at Ballymore for a third season. 

"I’m really happy to be coming back to the Reds in 2017," he told the Reds' official website.

"I was disappointed not be able to contribute as much as I wanted to in my first season with the Reds, so this year has been a rewarding experience, being able to prove to myself and my teammates that I can contribute at this level. 

"I came back to Ballymore this year with a goal of playing regular Super Rugby and I’m pleased I’ve been able to do that. I see my future at the Reds. I’ve loved my time here so far and I want to keep working hard and contributing to the Reds.

"My family and I are so happy to come back to Brisbane for another season."

Queensland Rugby Union Executive General Manager – Reds, Daniel Herbert, said: "We knew Hendrik had a lot to offer at this level and he has arguably been the standout for the Reds so far this season. 

"Our 2017 player list if coming together very well and Hendrik will be an important part of that group."

COMMENTS