Trinh-Duc always believed in RWC

Date published: July 6 2015

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Francois_Trinh-Duc_for_France

François Trinh-Duc admits the World Cup has been his sole focus for the last three years as he starts France's preparations this week.

The Montpellier fly-half was a surprise inclusion in France's 36-man preliminary squad, having missed four months of the season due to a broken leg.

Either side of that injury, he produced some impressive performances and in the end Philippe Saint-André selected him alongside Rémi Talès and Frédéric Michalak.

And despite rumours of problems with the coaching staff, Trinh-Duc explained to L'Equipe that his only focus was on giving himself every possible chance of making the World Cup.

"For the last three years, almost every personal and professional choice I have made has been with the objective of being at the World Cup," he told L'Equipe

"So when Philippe Saint-André called, it was liberating for me.

"There were people close to me (friends, journalists, teamates) saying 'in any case, he won't take you' but I didn't listen to them.

"For two years it's all I had been thinking of. And the closer it got, the worse it was. I was permanently stressed, even waking up in the middle of the night.

"It would have been easy to say or even think that the coach didn't like me. But in ten years, what would I have said to my kids? 'You know the coach didn't like your dad, but I could have won loads of caps'."

COMMENTS