Tigers book home quarter-final

Date published: January 16 2016

Leicester picked up their fifth straight win in the Champions Cup pool stages as they beat Treviso 47-7 in a bonus-point victory at Welford Road.

Tigers dominated the first 40 minutes, with tries from Michael Fitzgerald, Vereniki Goneva and Adam Thompstone adding to a penalty try to secure a first-half bonus-point.

Treviso got themselves on the board via Andrea Pratichetti before the break but Ben Youngs, Freddie Burns and Laurence Pearce added three second-half tries to seal a big win for Leicester.

On a full day of European action, the final match saw Tigers host Treviso, and the first 40 was a dominant showing by the hosts. In fact, it was so dominant that Treviso were behind almost from the kick-off.

After being penalised for an offside from the start, Manu Tuilagi found an inch of space down the left hand side and offloaded straight into the arms of Fitzgerald who sauntered over unchallenged. Burns added the extras as the first try of the night came early.

James Ambrosini missed a penalty attempt soon after, firing just wide from 40 metres. And that was a rare venture forward for the visitors, who were soon back defending for their lives.

On 20 minutes, after a stray boot had denied Jordan Crane touching down, the referee had no option but to award the penalty try after a powerful scrum overpowered Treviso's back line. Burns took the lead to 14.

Nine minutes later, Tigers had three tries without Treviso even threatening at the other end. After dragging the visiting side right across the field through intricate passing play, Goneva gathered Burns' chip over the top and allowed the number 10 to add two more points to his nights tally.

But Treviso did make a foray forward from the restart, and got themselves on the board. A straight forward line out saw wing Pratichetti sneak in underneath the posts to finally get his side started. Ambrosini sent the kick through to reduce the deficit slightly.

But by half-time, that was eradicated again. Three minutes before the break, Thompstone was the recipient of Logovi'i Mulipola's burst from the line out. His grounding also signalled the crucial bonus point, and that was with 40 still to play. Burns took the half-time lead up to a whopping 21 points.

The gap increased four minutes after the restart as Youngs grabbed try number five, emerging from a quick line-out before racing down the touchline and diving over.

Burns missed the conversion, but he made up for that with a try just a couple of minutes later. The fly-half created his own try himself and converted it too, taking Tigers tally up to 40.

And with four minutes left to play, Burns added two more points after Pearce crossed the line for number seven, on a dominant home performance by Tigers.

The scorers:

For Leicester:
Tries: Fitzgerald, Penalty, Goneva, Thompstone, B Youngs, Burns, Pearce
Con: Burns 5, Bell

For Treviso:
Try: Pratichetti
Con: Ambrosini

Leicester: 15 Tommy Bell, 14 Adam Thompstone, 13 Mathew Tait, 12 Manu Tuilagi, 11 Vereniki Goneva, 10 Freddie Burns, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Jordan Crane, 7 Tom Croft, 6 Mike Fitzgerald, 5 Graham Kitchener, 4 Dom Barrow, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Tom Youngs (c), 1 Logovi'i Mulipola.
Replacements: 16 Harry Thacker, 17 Marcos Ayerza, 18 Fraser Balmain, 19 Sebastian de Chaves, 20 Laurence Pearce, 21 Jono Kitto, 22 Seremaia Bai, 23 Peter Betham.

Treviso: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Andrea Pratichetti, 13 Samuel Christie, 12 Alberto Sgarbi, 11 Simone Ragusi, 10 James Ambrosini, 9 Alberto Lucchese, 8 Robert Barbieri, 7 Francesco Minto, 6 Marco Lazzaroni, 5 Jean-François Montauriol, 4 Filo Paulo, 3 Salesi Manu, 2 Ornel Gega, 1 Alberto de Marchi.
Replacements: 16 Davide Giazzon, 17 Cherif Traore, 18 Simone Ferrari, 19 Marco Fuser, 20 Alessandro Zanni, 21 Abraham Jurgens Steyn, 22 Enrico Bacchin, 23 Luke McLean.

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (Wales)
Assistant Referees: Sean Brickell (Wales), Gwyn Morris (Wales)
TMO: Derek Bevan (Wales)