Stade book quarter-final spot

Date published: January 24 2016

Stade Français booked their place in the last eight of the Champions Cup thanks to a 36-21 win over Leicester Tigers in Paris.

With the bonus-point win Stade advance to take one of the runners-up spots.

The visitors started much the brighter of the two sides as they showed how they'd already qualified as Pool winners.

Manu Tuilagi scored his side's first try as the visitors took the lead. However, French champions Stade needed victory to qualify and took charge in the latter end of the first half.

Tries from Jules Plisson, Waisea Vuidarvuwalu and Rabah Slimani gave the hosts a strong half-time lead. Raphael Lakafia and Geoffrey Doumayrou then scored in the second half to obtain the bonus point.

Leicester mounted a late rally but Dom Barrow and Harry Thacker's tries could not dash Stade Français' dreams as it finished 36-21.

Leicester's defeat means that they will enter the quarter-finals as second seeds behind Saracens with 23 points from Pool 4.

Tigers got the first try of the match in the 19th minute through returning centre Tuilagi. Matt Smith collected his own kick before brilliantly putting the England centre through go in under the posts. Freddie Burns added the extras for a seven point lead.

The hosts pulled themselves level just three minutes later, a fantastic drive from Jonathan Danty stretching the Tigers' defence before Plisson found a gap to touch down. Plisson converted his own score to draw the sides level.

Stade got themselves into the lead in the 29th minute as the ball found its way out to Vuidarvuwalu on the left hand side who crossed for his side's second try of the match. Plisson was unable to convert on this occasion limiting his side's lead to five points.

The hosts took their all-important try tally to three just before the break. Prop Slimani crossing the whitewash on this occasion. Plisson was on target to take his side into a commanding 19-7 half-time lead.

Leicester were reduced to 14 men in the 52nd minute as captain Tom Youngs was sent to the sin-bin for an altercation with Slimani.

Stade capitalised on their man advantage as some brilliant offloading set Lakafia in to score his side's bonus point try.

Leicester clawed a try back in the 59th minute, Barrow touching down using all of his tall height to touch down under the Stade Français posts. Thomas Bell converted to cut the gap to 12 points.

With five minutes to go, a driving line out earned the Tigers another consolation try, replacement hooker Thacker touching down. With the last act of the match Doumayrou scored an interception try for the home side and took the final score to 36-21 after Plisson scored his conversion.

The scorers:

For Stade Français:
Tries: Plisson, Nayacalevu, Slimani, Lakafia, Doumayrou
Cons: Plisson 4
Pen: Plisson

For Leicester:
Tries: Tuilagi, Barrow, Thacker
Cons: Burns, Bell 2

Stade Français: 15 Hugo Bonneval, 14 Jérémy Sinzelle, 13 Waisea Vuidarvuwalu, 12 Jonathan Danty, 11 Djibril Camara, 10 Jules Plisson, 9 Julien Dupuy, 8 Sergio Parisse (c) 7 Raphael Lakafia, 6 Jonathan Ross, 5 Paul Gabrillagues, 4 Hugh Pyle, 3 Rabah Slimani, 2 Laurent Sempéré, 1 Zak Taulafo.
Replacements: 16 Laurent Panis, 17 Emmanuel Felsina, 18 Paul Alo Emile, 19 Pascal Papé, 20 Antoine Burban, 21 Julien Tomas, 22 Morné Steyn, 23 Geoffrey Doumayrou

Leicester Tigers: 15 Matthew Tait, 14 Adam Thompstone, 13 Manu Tuilagi, 12 Matt Smith, 11 Telusa Veainu, 10 Freddie Burns, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Lachlan McCaffrey, 7 Tom Croft, 6 Michael Fitzgerald, 5 Graham Kitchener, 4 Dom Barrow, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Tom Youngs, 1 Marcos Ayerza,
Replacements: 16 Harry Thacker, 17 Logovii Mulipola, 18 Fraser Balmain, 19 Sebastian De Chaves, 20 Laurence Pearce, 21 Sam Harrison, 22 Thomas Bell, 23 Peter Betham
Referee: George Clancy (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland), Mark Patton (Ireland)
TMO: Marshall Kilgore (Ireland)