The Eastern Province Kings' inability to pay Carlos Spencer's wages is the reason he decided to end his association with the Port Elizabeth-based outfit.
That is the word from Spencer's Auckland-based lawyer David Jones who said the Kings, who will return to compete in Super Rugby in 2016, had trouble paying the former All Blacks fly-half, who worked as the team's attack and specialist skills coach, as well as their players.
The 39-year-old now wants to return to New Zealand and is keen to work as the Blues' skills coach under new head coach Tana Umaga.
Jones strongly rejected reports claiming Spencer had left the Kings due to poor results.
He revealed that Spencer terminated his contract because of longstanding problems the payment of his wages and is using the services of a South African law firm to sort out the situation.
"It's been happening since before Christmas last year – there comes a time when you've had enough," Jones told the New Zealand Herald.
"At some point you have to lance the boil. He is owed a substantial amount of money and has had to constantly chase them for arrears. The player payments have been in arrears also.
"Cheeky Watson (EP rugby president) made a promise last Wednesday the players would be paid and they weren't. There has been a series of broken promises.
"Carlos didn't want to terminate until he had a replacement job, but he reached the end of his tether.
"I know he would love to come back to New Zealand. It is his favoured option. And he really wants to help restore the Blues' credibility."
Meanwhile, Blues chief executive Michael Redman confirmed that Spencer, who played for the two-time Super Rugby champions between 1995 and 2005, approached the franchise earlier this year about a possible return.
Redman said the Blues will decide within days if they will appoint a new skills coach, or make the job contestable. If it is the latter, Spencer would "absolutely be an option and we would hope and expect he would apply."