‘Sexton to be fit for Six Nations’ – Cullen

Date published: January 21 2017

Leinster coach Leo Cullen believes Johnny Sexton should be ready to play for Ireland after the player was injured against Castres.

Sexton walked off after appearing to have picked up a niggle in Leinster’s 24-24 all draw against Castres on Friday.

But Cullen believes Sexton should be fit in time to pull on the Irish colours for their first fixture of the Six Nations after declaring the injury “just had a bit of stiffness”.

“It’s very early days yet. I don’t imagine so but I don’t know. We’ll wait and see. He’ll get scanned and he has all next week and the week after before he gets into that first game so we’ll get the reports early next week,” Cullen told The Irish Times.

“He just had a bit of stiffness in his calf,” said Cullen.

“We’ll see how he is. Isa (Nacewa) went off as well. He had that dead leg from last week and it was just stiffening up bit by bit. We obviously have Rob and Ross there but it’s not ideal losing two key guys in the first 35 minutes. But I thought those guys came in and did pretty well.”

Cullen said that it will be up to Sexton to make the call when the time comes.

“Yeah, just a bit of tightness. But again, when he feels that he was almost there making the call himself. And we obviously go with that. It’s obviously very early days, so we’ll see, get a scan and know exactly what extent there is there.”

COMMENTS