Seven-try Ulster put Treviso to the sword

Date published: October 2 2015

A rampant Ulster made light work of a ragged Treviso side on Friday with a seven try 48-7 rout at a sunny Ravenhill. 

The hosts worked up a substantial first half lead, with tries from Dan Tuohy, Sean Reidy, Paul Marshall, and Craig Gilroy securing the bonus point before the interval. 

The hosts led throughout an open, if scrappy game, and in truth were never really threatened here.

The Italian visitors bagged a consolation through Sam Christie at the beginning of the second half, but alas never regained a foothold in the contest.

The Irishmen then ramped it up thereafter, with Peter Browne getting on the scoresheet, and Gilroy completed his brace, before Lewis Stevenson wrapped up the contest at the death. 

It was a pretty satisfying night for Ulster, but this was an evening to forget for tired Treviso. 

Ulster made the better start and bagged the first points of the evening when lock Tuohy barged over from close range.

McCloskey converted to give his side a 7-0 lead. The centre extended the advantage on 11 minutes when he landed an impressive penalty to make it 10-0. 
Hayward had a chance to claw some points back for Treviso a couple of minutes later, but sadly scuffed his effort.

The Irish side were certainly in the driving seat, but McCloskey joined in the jitters when he missed a straightforward penalty on 20 minutes.

The hosts were beginning to hammer home their advantage over beleaguered opponents, and Reidy scored on 22 minutes when he found himself at the bottom of a textbook driving maul. McCloskey converted to make it 17-0. 

By now, it was one -way traffic and the resistance of the Italian side was crumbling. 
Thus, on 33 minutes scrum half Marshall collected the ball from the base of a scrum and raced down the blind side to score another try in the corner. McCloskey missed the conversion, but the hosts were in a commanding position. 

A virtually flawless half from Ulster ended with Irish international Gilroy dancing through a meek Treviso defence to touch down. McCloskey missed the extras, but it mattered little. 

The second half started better for the Italian franchise, who were playing with much more tempo in their game. And their endeavour was rewarded on 48 minutes when fly-half Christie nipped over for a try. Hayward converted to reduce the deficit to 27-7. It was a good effort from the visitors, and a complacent Ulster were in danger of letting Treviso back into the contest.

But Ulster regained control, and extended their lead when lock Browne picked and drove over on 56 minutes for the fifth try. McCloskey duly converted.

The ugly procession continued on 63 minutes when Gilroy got over for his brace, with Peter Nelson converting this time. The Italians were now shipping tackles at an alarming rate, and the attrition must have taken quite a toll.

Fittingly, it was Ulster who had the final say when Irish lock Stevenson touched down on 76 minutes. An emphatic win for the Irishmen, but this match was long since over as a contest. 

The scorers:

For Ulster:
Tries: Gilroy 2, Tuohy, Reidy,Marshall, Browne, Stevenson
Cons: McCloskey 3, Nelson 2
Pen: McCloskey 

For Treviso:
Try: Christie
Con: Hayward

Ulster: 15 Louis Ludik, 14 Andrew Trimble, 13 Luke Marshall, 12 Stuart McCloskey, 11 Craig Gilroy, 10 Peter Nelson, 9Paul Marshall, 8 Roger Wilson, 7 Sean Reidy, 6 Robbie Diack, 5 Dan Tuohy, 4 Peter Browne, 3 Wiehahn Herbst, 2 Rob Herring (c), 1 Andrew Warwick.
Replacements: 16 Paul Jackson, 17 Callum Black, 18 Bronson Ross, 19 Lewis Stevenson, 20 Clive Ross, 21 David Shanahan, 22 Sam Arnold, 23 Rory Scholes

Treviso: 15 Jayden Hayward, 14 Ludovico Nitoglia, 13 Tommaso Iannone, 12 Andrea Pratichetti, 11 Simone Ragusi, 10 Sam Christie, 9 Chris Smylie, 8 Robert Barbieri, 7 Dean Budd, 6 Marco Barbini, 5 Tom Palmer, 4 Duncan Naudè, 3 Rupert Harden, 2 Roberto Santamaria, 1 Matteo Zanusso.
Replacements: 16 Luca Bigi, 17 Alberto De Marchi, 18 Simone Ferrari, 19 Jeff Montauriol, 20 Andrea De Marchi, 21 Abraham Steyn, 22 Alberto Lucchese, 23 James Ambrosini

Referee: Lloyd Linton (Scotland)

By Rory McGimpsey