Seven-try Ospreys thump Zebre

Date published: March 28 2015

The Ospreys cruised to a bonus-point 53-22 triumph over Zebre in their PRO12 clash at the Liberty Stadium, running in seven tries on Saturday.

The Welsh region took the lead at half-time with tries for Dan Baker, Josh Matavesi and Scott Baldwin and two penalties for Sam Davies. 

Zebre replied with a penalty for Gonzalo Garica and a try for Dion Berryman but they were still trailing 27-8 at the interval. 

The home side claimed another three tries in the second-half for Rhys Webb, Hanno Dirksen and a second for Baker, along with a penalty try to secure the victory. 

The Italian side scored two tries of their own courtesy of Giulio Toniolatti and Alberto Chillon but they were still defeated 53-22. 

Ospreys opened the scoring in just two minutes when Baker powered over for the try. Just minutes later, a scrum for Ospreys close to the Zebre line gave Matavesi a chance to hit the pass out on a great line and he tore past the defence to score. 

Garcia then added some points for the visitors with a penalty. However, Davies was quick to reply with two of his own for the Welsh side. 

Five minutes from half time, a great run from Tyler Ardron found Baldwin who finished it off with the try. 

On half-time, some quick passes out to the wing found Berryman and he crashed over in the corner but despite his efforts, Zebre were still losing 27-8 after the first 40.

Baker broke free from the defence 11 minutes into the second-half and easily brushed past the remaining defenders to claim Ospreys bonus point try. 

The TMO then allowed Webb's try, certain he had managed to reach over the line in the tackle. 

Zebre's Toniolatti intercepted an Ospreys pass and superbly sprinted down field to out-run the defence and score the try. 

The visitors then made a huge mistake when Webb was deemed to have been held back when he was certain to be headed for the try line. Ospreys were awarded the penalty try and Michele Visentin sent to the sin bin. 

With Zebre set to play the rest of the game with 14 men, Ospreys took advantage with a seventh try, scored by Dirksen. 

Chillon scored in the 78th minute for Zebre but this was a mere consolation as his team went down 53-22 and Ospreys moved up to fourth in the table.

The scorers:

For Ospreys:
Tries: Baker 2, Matavesi, Baldwin, Webb, Penalty, Dirksen
Con: Davies 5, Biggar
Pen: Davies 2

For Zebre:
Tries: Berryman, Toniolatti, Chillon
Con: Bergamasco 2
Pen: Garcia

Ospreys: 15 Dan Evans, 14 Tom Grabham, 13 Jonathan Spratt, 12 Josh Matavesi, 11 Hanno Dirksen, 10 Sam Davies, 9 Tom Habberfield, 8 Dan Baker, 7 Justin Tipuric (c), 6 James King, 5 Tyler Ardron, 4 Lloyd Peers, 3 Aaron Jarvis, 2 Scott Baldwin, 1 Ryan Bevington.
Replacements: 16 Scott Otten, 17 Nicky Smith, 18 Dmitri Arhip, 19 Alun Wyn Jones, 20 Dan Lydiate, 21 Rhys Webb, 22 Dan Biggar, 23 Ben John.

Zebre: 15 Guglielmo Palazzani, 14 Dion Berryman, 13 Mirco Bergamasco, 12 Gonzalo Garcia, 11 Giulio Toniolatti, 10 Luciano Orquera, 9 Brendon Leonard, 8 Samuela Vunisa, 7 Filippo Cristiano, 6 Valerio Bernabò, 5 Marco Bortolami (c), 4 Quintin Geldenhuys, 3 Luca Redolfini, 2 Oliviero Fabiani, 1 Andrea De Marchi.
Replacements: 16 Andrea Manici, 17 Luciano Leibson, 18 Lorenzo Romano, 19 Jacopo Sarto, 20 Filippo Ferrarini, 21 Alberto Chillon, 22 Matteo Pratichetti, 23 Michele Visentin.

Referee: George Clancy
Assistant Referees: Neil Hennessy, Jonathan Hardy
TMO: Gareth Simmonds