Scarlets blow Glasgow away

Date published: November 5 2016

Will Boyde scored a brace and Rhys Patchell kicked 12 points to give Scarlets a comprehensive 27-3 win on Saturday.

Table toppers Glasgow faced one of their toughest tests of the season thus far, travelling to face top six side Scarlets at Parc y Scarlets. 

A first-half try from Will Boyde took Scarlets into a 7-3 lead at the break, with Jonathan Evans adding to the gap immediately. Boyde added another after a lineout maul as the Warriors woes continued. After an even first quarter of an hour, the hosts got themselves in front from the first try of the afternoon, with Boyde going over. 

Scarlets were able to counter after possession was turned over, and the ball found its way to Boyde who went over, with the TMO giving it the all clear. The extra two came from the boot of Rhys Patchell. Mark Bennett had a chance at reducing the deficit but he saw a kick from distance sail wide of the sticks, though they were able to pressure the Scarlets back line soon after going behind. 

A consistent bout of pressure saw Wyn Jones sent to the sin-bin for a foul as the Warriors continued to knock at the door, but Warriors couldn't find the gaps to make the most of the one man advantage. Peter Horne was able to reduce the arrears before the break with a well struck penalty, Glasgow taking 35 minutes to get themselves off the mark after a slow opening half hour. 

The Glasgow number 10 could have cut the gap down to a single point before the break, but he saw a penalty go wide as the visitors began to take control of the game at long last. But the second half was a horror show for the Warriors, with Scarlets dominating inside the first 20 minutes of the half. 

It only took a matter of seconds for Scarlets to increase their lead after the break, Patchell escaping a number of attempted challenges before offloading to Evans who crossed for try number two. The conversion from Patchell made the gap 11 points, but that only got bigger as Scarlets continued to dominate the Warriors back line. 

Pat MacArthur was shown a yellow as Warriors woes continued, with Patchell adding another three before the third try of the evening came. A line-out maul proved havoc for the 14 men of Glasgow, and Boyde was the man credited with going over as Scarlets powered their way over. Patchell converted again to make it a 27-3 advantage, Warriors capitulating after the break. 

Glasgow's chances of getting back into the game continued to slip away when they lost another man, this time Brian Alainu-uese shown a yellow for an infringement in the defence. Warriors did have chances in the final five minutes to make the scoreline slightly more favourable, but found themselves unable to get any more than just the three points as Scarlets recorded a big win.

The scorers

For Scarlets:
Tries: Evans, Boyde 2
Cons: Patchell 3
Pens: Patchell 2

For Glasgow:
Pen: Horne

Scarlets: 15 Aled Thomas, 14 DTH van der Merwe, 13 Steff Hughes, 12 Hadleigh Parkes (c), 11 Steff Evans, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Jonathan Evans, 8 John Barclay, 7 Will Boyde, 6 Aaron Shingler, 5 David Bulbring, 4 Tom Price, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Ryan Elias, 1 Wyn Jones 
Replacements: 16 Emyr Phillips, 17 Dylan Evans, 18 Peter Edwards, 19 Lewis Rawlins, 20 James Davies, 21 Aled Davies, 22 Dan Jones, 23 Gareth Owen

Glasgow Warriors: 15 Peter Murchie, 14 Lee Jones, 13 Mark Bennett, 12 Sam Johnson, 11 Rory Hughes, 10 Peter Horne, 9 Ali Price,8 Lewis Wynne, 7 Simone Favaro, 6 Rob Harley, 5 Brian Alainu’uese, 4 Tim Swinson, 3 Sila Puafisi, 2 Pat MacArthur, 1 Djustice Sears-Duru
Replacements: 16 Corey Flynn, 17 Jamie Bhatti, 18 D’arcy Rae, 19 Matt Fagerson, 20 Langilangi Haupeakui, 21 Grayson Hart, 22 Rory Clegg, 23 Nick Grigg

Referee: Gary Conway (Ireland)
Assistant Referees: David Wilkinson (Ireland), Neil Jones (Wales)
TMO: Olly Hodges (Ireland)