Sale hammer London Welsh

Date published: February 15 2015

Sale Sharks ran eight tries past London Welsh in a crushing 52-12 Premiership victory on Sunday.

Sale moved into the top half of the table after the romp against at  Kassam Stadium.

Steve Diamond said he was keen to avoid an upset pre-game, but there was never any chance of that happening in what turned out to be a stroll for the Sharks.

This will rank amongst one of the more disheartening performances for the relegation doomed Welsh, as they failed to build on an early try against a rampant Sale team.

After such a ruthless display, there may be some Sharks fans who will be dreaming of an unlikely charge towards the play-offs.

To say that Welsh's return to the Premiership hasn't gone to plan would be somewhat of an understatement, no wins in 13 before kickoff, but they showed a flash of promise with the first try of the game.

Rob Lewis intercepted a sloppy Sale pass 70 metres from his own try line, and charged all the way untouched to bring some cheer to his side's beleaguered fans.

As has been the way this season, that early promise was extinguished moments later, with Mike Haley finishing off a slick Sharks attack to level the scores.

There was an inevitability about Sale's second try, as Welsh's scrum crumbled. That gave Dave Seymour a chance to break, and he fed in hooker Tommy Taylor who scored his first try of the season.

Sale were one try off a bonus point before the half hour mark, with Will Addison racing 40 metres to cross over. Welsh already looked a spent force in what has been a chastening campaign.

When Welsh looked at their remaining fixtures, they must have pinpointed this one as a potential first win, but when Taylor ran in his second try a few minutes before the break it was clear that the game was all but over.

That wrapped up the bonus point for Sale, as everything went to plan for Diamond's side, including a fifth try by Tom Arscott try on the stroke of half time.

It was Arscott who continued the thrashing at the start of the second half with a well worked score.

Opeti Fonua got one back for Welsh as they looked to restore some pride, but it was ultimately a tame second period.

Mark Cueto rolled back the years late on with, running over half the length of the field for Sale's seventh try. Will Addison brought up the half century with a late try.

The scorers:

For London Welsh:
Tries: R. Lewis, Fonua
Cons: Jewell
Pens: Jewell

For Sale:
Tries: Haley, Taylor 2, Addison 2, Arscott 2, Cueto
Cons: Macleod 5, Ford

London Welsh: 15 Seb Jewell, 14 Seb Stegmann, 13 Nic Reynolds, 12 James Tincknell, 11 Nick Scott, 10 Olly Barkley, 9 Rob Lewis, 8 Opeti Fonua 7 Carl Kirwan (C), 6 Richard Thorpe, 5 James Down, 4 Ben West, 3 Taione Vea, 2 Koree Britton, 1 Nathan Trevett.
Replacements: 16 Nathan Morris, 17 Eddie Aholelei, 18 Jack Gilding, 19 Matt Corker, 20 Ben Pienaar, 21 Piri Weepu, 22 Will Robinson, 23 James Lewis

Sale Sharks: 15 Mike Haley, 14 Will Addison, 13 Johnny Leota, 12 Sam Tuitupou, 11 Tom Arscott, 10 Nick Macleod, 9 Chris Cusiter, 8 Josh Beaumont. 7 David Seymour, 6 Dan Braid (capt), 5 Nathan Hines, 4 Jonathan Mills, 3 Vadim Cobilas, 2 Tommy Taylor, 1 Eifion Lewis Roberts.
Replacements: 16 Marc Jones, 17 Maxim Cobilas, 18 Ross Harrison, 19 Magnus Lund, 20 Mark Easter, 21 Will Cliff, 22 Joe Ford, 23 Mark Cueto

Venue: Kassam Stadium
Referee: Tim Wigglesworth
Assistant referees: Darren Gamage & Peter Huckle