Sale cruise past London Irish

Date published: November 15 2014

Sale put in an impressive showing as they powered past London Irish 36-8, moving above the Exiles in the league standings.

Sale put in an impressive performance as they powered past London Irish 36-8 in Salford, moving above the Exiles in the Aviva Premiership standings.

Chris Noakes got the scoring off to a start for London Irish with a penalty in the second minute of the game but it proved to be the visitors’ only points of the first half.

It was the home side who dominated the first 40, with tries from David Seymour and skipper Dan Braid and a penalty try also awarded on the whistle.

Danny Cipriani’s kicking game proved crucial, with the fly-half kicking two conversions and a penalty, making it 22-3 at the half time whistle.

The Exiles’ only try of the game came courtesy of their captain George Skivington in the second half but it proved to be only a consolation for the visitors in the end.

Sale went on to receive another penalty try from referee Matthew Carley and Andy Forsyth also went over for his side in the last few minutes of the game to seal a very convincing victory.

Despite Sale’s dominance in the first half of the game, it was London Irish who put the first points on the board courtesy of Noakes in only the second minute.

The early scoring did not worry the home side however and they were over for a try shortly after. Cipriani put in an excellent kick to the corner, giving his side a line-out five metres from their own try line and Seymour was on the end of some excellent passing to crash over the line.

Cipriani was unlucky to miss a penalty to further extend his sides lead but Noakes similarly missed his own penalty to get his team closer to their opponents.

However Cipriani was able to make up for his earlier miss with a successful penalty in the last 10 minutes of the half.

The visitors’ discipline was starting to cost them dear and Sale’s next try came directly after the sin binning of David Paice.

Another Cipriani kick put Sale in an excellent position as the forwards buried their way over and Braid took the ball over the line.

In the final minute of the first half, the Sharks were awarded a penalty try for London Irish collapsing the maul and Luke Narraway was immediately shown a yellow card for the visitors.

Down to only 13 men, London Irish did their best to weather the storm at the start of the second half but they could not contain a rampage by Sale.

The home side were awarded another penalty try early on in the second half, giving them a four-try bonus point in the league and undoubtedly putting the game out of the visitors reach.

Despite the odds being stacked against them, London Irish never gave up in attack and their persistence paid off with a try for captain Skivington from a driving maul.

In the end it proved in vain when Sale went over for their fifth try of the game in the 75th minute. A break from Nick Macleod sent Andy Forsyth over for what looked like such a simple try and Sale were the victors, with a very convincing 36-8 scoreline.

The scorers:

For Sale:
Tries: Seymour, Braid, Penalty try 2, Forsyth
Con: Cipriani 3, Macleod
Pen: Cipriani

For London Irish:
Tries: Skivington
Pen: Noakes
Yellow: Paice (34 mins), Narraway (40 mins)

Sale Sharks: 15 Mike Haley, 14 Tom Brady, 13 Mark Jennings, 12 Sammy Tuitupou, 11 Tom Arscott, 10 Danny Cipriani, 9 Will Cliff, 8 Josh Beaumont, 7 David Seymour, 6 Dan Braid, 5 Michael Paterson, 4 Jonathan Mills, 3 Vadim Cobilas, 2 Marc Jones, 1 Eifion Lewis-Roberts.
Replacements: 16 Cameron Neild, 17 James Flynn, 18 Ross Harrison, 19 Magnus Lund, 20 Mark Easter, 21 Nathan Fowles, 22 Nick McLeod, 23 Andy Forsyth.

London Irish: 15 Andrew Fenby, 14 Alex Lewington, 13 Fergus Mulchrone, 12 Eoin Griffin, 11 Topsy Ojo, 10 Chris Noakes, 9 Darren Allinson, 8 Tom Guest, 7 Luke Narraway, 6 Kieran Low, 5 Sean Cox, 4 George Skivington (c), 3 Halani Aulika, 2 David Paice, 1 Tom Court.
Replacements: 16 Jimmy Stevens, 17 Jamie Hagan, 18 Leo Halavatau, 19 Dave Lyons, 20 Ollie Curry, 21 Scott Steele, 22 Myles Dorrian, 23 James Short.

Referee: Matthew Carley
Assistant referees: Gareth Copsey, Ashley Rowden