SA Rugby and government at loggerheads

Date published: May 13 2016

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_SA_Sports_Minister_Fikile_Mbalula

SA Rugby look set to take their own stance and go ahead with a 2023 Rugby World Cup bid next month, according to a report in South Africa.

However, standing in their way is the minister of sports and recreation, Fikile Mbalula.

South Africa banned its Cricket and Rugby teams from bidding for international tournaments last month after an Eminent persons group inquiry found that the sports teams had failed to meet their transformation standards.

This ban caused immediate damage for SA Rugby as they were in the process of getting their bid ready for the 2023 World Cup.

GM for corporate affairs Andy Colquhuon said that SA Rugby was willing to meet with minister Mbalula regarding the bid which kicks off in a month's time, however Mbalula is sticking with his final decision.

The minister's spokesperson Esethu Hasane made it clear that government had not been approached by SA Rugby and further added that the ban will only be lifted if government is satisfied with the findings of the next Eminent Persons Group report due to be reviewed in April 2017. 

"There has been no request for a meeting by SA Rugby, and the situation remains the same as when the minister announced that privileges enjoyed by these particular federations, which included SA Rugby, to bid for major international events had been revoked," Hasane told bdlive.co.za.

South Africa last hosted the Rugby World Cup in 1995 when the sport helped unite a nation.

COMMENTS