Ryan double secures Leinster victory

Date published: October 31 2014

Leinster wrapped a try bonus point victory over depleted visitors Edinburgh thanks to two tries from flanker Dominic Ryan.

Leinster wrapped a try bonus point victory over depleted visitors Edinburgh thanks to two tries from flanker Dominic Ryan.

Leinster had made eight changes to the team that beat Castres in the Champions Cup last weekend.

Whilst Edinburgh could barely patch a team together with 20 players unavailable through injury and international duty.

The radical changes to both sides showed in the first half as both teams were guilty of a number of errors. Leinster managed to steal two tries off of a shambolic Edinburgh in the first half, despite lacking cohesion themselves.

Leinster’s scrappy first half tries set the tone for the second half as the Irish team continued to look the more dominant side. Matt O’Connor’s men scored twice and converted both before Edinburgh managed to reply.

Tomas Leonardi scored for the visitors after 75 minutes only to have Leinster’s Mick McGrath slide over four minutes later for the final try of the match. Edinburgh had won only one in their last seven matches on Leinster soil and looked the part of underdog from the opening whistle.

After just three minutes Dominic Ryan found the try line. Sliding over off the back of a Leinster maul. Fitzgerald was denied a try in the corner but Leinster managed to retain possession 10 metres out. Edinburgh’s defence got sucked in and Conan broke through the line to make it 10-0 Leinster.

Gopperth made up for his horrific first conversion attempt by slotting the second to make it 12-0 after 12 minutes.

Heathcote missed his first sniff at a penalty only to slot the second after 22 minutes, concluding the scoring for the half at 12-3. Leinster kept the scoreboard ticking over throughout the first half. Ryan scored a carbon copy of the first try after another maul on 52 minutes.

Gopperth curled the conversion through comfortably to widen the gap to 16. After 63 minutes Isaac Boss offloaded to Tom Denton who was wrapped up just short of the line. Denton managed to pop an offload off to Ben Marshall who scored comfortably, Gopperth slotted another conversion to make it 26-3. Edinburgh managed to find a consolation try when Tomas Leonardi picked up Dave Denton’s offload on the wing. Heatcote continued the theme of Edinburgh’s night by shanking the conversion.

Leinster finished the game as they started it scoring a try on 79 minutes to compound Edinburgh misery.

Mick McGrath found himself in the right place at the right time after Luke Fitzgerald broke the line and offloaded. Gopperth converted for the final time to end the match at 33-8.

The scorers:

For Leinster:
Tries: Ryan 2, Conan, Marshall, M McGrath
Cons: Gopperth 4

For Edinburgh:
Try: Leonardi
Pen: Heathcote

Leinster: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Darragh Fanning, 13 Ben Te’o, 12 Noel Reid, 11 Luke Fitzgerald, 10 Jimmy Gopperth, 9 Luke McGrath, 8 Jack Conan, 7 Dominic Ryan, 6 Kevin McLaughlin (c), 5 Kane Douglas, 4 Tom Denton, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 2 Richardt Strauss, 1 Michael Bent
Replacements: 16 Bryan Byrne, 17 Ed Byrne, 18 Peter Dooley, 19 Ben Marshall, 20 Dan Leavy, 21 Isaac Boss, 22 Steve Crosbie, 23 Mick McGrath

Edinburgh: 15 Nick McLennan, 14 Dougie Fife, 13 Joaquin Dominguez, 12 Andries Strauss (capt), 11 Tim Visser, 10 Tom Heathcote, 9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, 8 David Denton, 7 Tomas Leonardi, 6 Magnus Bradbury, 5 Jack Turley, 4 Ben Toolie, 3 Willem Nel, 2 James Hilterbrand, 1 Allan Dell.
Replacements: 16 Jake Kerr, 17 Rory Sutherland, 18 John Andres, 19 Jamie Ritchie, 20 George Turner, 21 Sean Kennedy, 22 Greig Tonks, 23 Jack Cuthbert.

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)
Assistant Referees: David Wilkinson (Ireland), Stuart Douglas (Ireland)
TMO: Kevin Beggs (Ireland)