Roberts reaffirms trust in medics

Date published: February 10 2015

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_459356956

Wales centre Jamie Roberts has defended the national squad's medical staff after they were cleared of any wrongdoing by World Rugby.

The global governing body had asked for a report after George North's second concussion in the defeat to England last Friday went unnoticed by the Wales medics.

WRU medical manager Prav Mathema admitted he was unsighted at the moment North went down following a clash of heads with team-mate Richard Hibbard. North had earlier been taken off for a concussion test after his head collided with the leg of England lock Dave Attwood.

Both the WRU and Mathema have since said that North should have been removed from the field following the second concussion.

Roberts, a qualified doctor, admitted that the fact that North's second knockout hadn't been spotted was 'unfortunate', while reiterating the importance of working to improve how the sport handles concussion moving forward.

"It's unfortunate, that second incident," said Roberts.

"I think all the protocols have been followed by the Union medical staff. It was unfortunate they didn't see it happen, the second one (incident).

"All the players trust the medical staff. They are a very experienced bunch, and we trust their calls. It was an unfortunate incident. A lot has been made of it, and rightly so.

"Concussion is a huge part of the game at the moment, and hopefully moving forward, the protocols that we put in place – from our side, there will be video replays now for the medical staff at home and away matches – are going to make the game safer for the players involved.

"Safety of the players is paramount.

"A lot has been made of this incident, but I think the medical team dealt with it fantastically well and did everything in their power and did everything right that they should have done."

COMMENTS