Rebels suspend Beale again

Date published: May 9 2013

Rebels utility back Kurtley Beale has again been suspended after breaking the conditions of his recent return to the game.

Rebels utility back Kurtley Beale has again been suspended after breaking the conditions of his recent return to the game.

Beale has been banned from playing in the Rebels' clash with the Blues in Auckland on Saturday after going out drinking the night after returning to action in last weekend's loss to the Chiefs.

Beale was set to be named in the Rebels' starting line-up but the Melbourne-based franchise said in a statement on Thursday that the Wallaby would not play against the Blues because he had “breached behavioral guidelines … which were agreed to in full by Kurtley. The relevant parties will meet to discuss any future course of action.”

The Rebels' newly appointed interim chief executive Rob Clarke said Beale admitted to his indiscretion when he confronted him about the allegation that he had been drinking when he went to the NRL game between the Melbourne Storm and Canberra on Saturday night with a “group of non-Rebels players”.

“It left us no other option but to take action,” Clarke told AAP.

“I was pleased to see Kurtley front up and agree that he had broken those guidelines.

“He hasn't shirked that in any way but the standards of the club has to be upheld at every step and as far as I'm concerned this is the most appropriate action taken.

“… The agreement he had signed up to made it very clear that he had to continue with his program that had been put in place and that there was to be no alcohol consumed during his time at the Rebels.”

Clarke did not reveal who had informed him that Beale had been drinking, but he was not concerned that the Wallaby did not informed the Rebels before being approached by Clarke.

“The main thing is as soon as it was put in front of him, he accepted it and admitted it and faced up to the consequences of it,” Clarke said.

Beale, who had still hoped to play for Australia against the British and Irish Lions in three tests in June and July, had missed the previous six games; first through a broken hand and then the suspension for his drunken altercations in late March after a Rebels match in South Africa.

After undergoing counseling for a month, he returned to training on April 30 and was named as a reserve a day later. He came off the bench to score a try in the Rebels' 39-33 loss to the Chiefs last weekend.

After the Chiefs match, Melbourne coach Damien Hill said he planned to put Beale back into the starting side against the Blues.

“He was electric, he added so much to our attack,” Hill said.