It’s time to sit down and test your memory covering the last twelve months, with 30 questions on the world of rugby in 2016.
With the Olympics and numerous internationals it has certainly been a busy year, so let’s see how much you all remember.
Answers at the bottom (no cheating…)
Planet Rugby’s Quiz of 2016
1) Which country beat Samoa in the repechage tournament final in Monaco in June to qualify for the Sevens competition at the Rio Olympics?
2) Name the two franchises who made their debut in an expanded 18-team Super Rugby tournament in 2016.
3) Who scored the first points of the 2016 Super Rugby season?
4) England secured a Six Nations Grand Slam in 2016. When was the last time they achieved this feat?
5) Which country was the last one before England in 2016 to win a Six Nations Grand Slam and in which year was that?
6) Fiji’s gold medal win at the 2016 Olympics in Rio was significant for what reason?
7) Who stepped down from his role as All Blacks Sevens coach, after a 22-year stint, and was later appointed as Samoa’s Sevens boss?
8) Who made the most tackles in the 2016 Rugby Championship?
9) Connacht made history by winning the PRO12 title for the first time this year, but who was their captain?
10) Which player scored the most Test tries in 2016?
11) Name the one team promoted to the Premiership and the two who rose into the Top 14 this year.
12) This year, Germany defeated which team who participated in last year’s Rugby World Cup?
13) Only two players played in 15 Test matches in 2016. Who were they? And for which country?
14) The Kings notably struggled in 2016, but in which position did they finish in the overall standings.
15) New Zealand finished with a perfect total in the Rugby Championship – which is how many points?
16) Who was Allister Coetzee’s original defensive coach before being replaced before the November tour to Europe?
17) Saracens achieved a domestic and European double this year, but who was the previous English team to do so?
18) Three teams won more than ten Tests in 2016. England and New Zealand were two of them. Who was the other?
19) Racing triumphed in the Top 14 final against Toulon but the played most of the match with 14 men. Who was sent off?
20) Who had the most try assists in the 2016 Super Rugby Season?
21) Bristol parted ways with which director of rugby in November?
22) The Hurricanes became the fifth and final New Zealand franchise to win a Super Rugby title. But who was the first?
23) England Sevens star Dan Norton surpassed which former player this year as England’s highest ever Sevens points scorer?
24) Which former England wing became the highest try scorer of all in European Cup rugby with his hat-trick against Pau for Bristol this December?
25) Fiji Sevens secured their third World Sevens Series title this year, but by how many do they trail all-time leaders New Zealand?
26) The World Rugby Hall of Fame opened this year in which location in England?
27) New Zealand scored the most Test tries of any team in 2016. But who scored the second most?
28) What team beat Italy a week after the Azzurri defeated the Springboks?
29) What was the name of the Reds head coach who was fired three games into the 2016 Super Rugby season?
30) How many games did England win in a row in 2016?
Answers – 1) Spain, 2) Jaguares and Sunwolves, 3) Ben Smith, 4) 2003, 5) Wales in 2012, 6) The country’s first Olympic medal, 7) Sir Gordon Tietjens, 8) Michael Hooper, 9) John Muldoon, 10) Israel Dagg with 10, 11) Bristol, Lyon and Bayonne, 12) Uruguay, 13) Bernard Foley and Stephen Moore of Australia, 14) 17th, 15) Thirty, 16) Chean Roux, 17) Wasps in 2004, 18 Romania, 19) Maxime Machenaud, 20) Elton Jantjies, 21) Andy Robinson, 22) Blues, 23) Ben Gollings, 24) Tom Varndell, 25) Nine titles, 26) Rugby, 27) Japan, 28) Tonga, 29) Richard Graham, 30) Thirteen