Ospreys sneak win at Munster

Date published: February 14 2016

Ospreys claimed a vital PRO12 victory on Sunday as they got the better of Munster, winning 21-17 at Irish Independent Park in Cork.

Duncan Williams opened the scoring for Munster but Ospreys struck back through Sam Davies, who sliced through in the 24th minute.

A phenomenal solo effort from Francis Saili put the Welsh side on the back foot again but a penalty from Davies made it anyone's game going into half-time with the scores at 12-10 in favour of Munster.

Robin Copeland snatched the first try of the second-half, but a penalty from Davies and a try from Owen Watkin quickly turned the game on its head with the visitors going 18-17 in front.

Davies sealed the win for the Welshmen with another kick at goal minutes before the game's end.

Munster were unbeaten at Irish Independent Park for three years going into this must-win clash against an Ospreys side that where breathing down their necks in seventh place.

Just after the ten minute mark Brendon Leonard had a kick charged down by Williams who followed the ball through for the games first try, Keatley made it 7-0 with the conversion.

25 minutes in Leonard made up for his mistake by slipping Davies though for the visitors' first try. The try scorer made no mistake with the conversion to level the scores at 7-7.

Less than a minute later Davies coughed the ball up in the middle of the pitch which lead to a magnificent solo effort from Saili. Keatley struck the upright with the conversion to leave Munster 12-7 in front.

Davies racked up another three points with a kick at goal on the stroke of half-time to leave the scores at 12-10 going into the break. 

After a quiet opening to the first-half Munster managed to break through for another try when a deft offload from Darren Sweetnam found Copeland. Keatley failed to add the finishing touches yet again with the conversion to restrict the lead to 17-10.

Minutes later Davies reduced the home side's lead by three with another kick at goal.

After a period of concerted pressure on the Munster try-line, Davies managed to slip Watkin in for a vital try putting the visitors in front for the first time in the match. Davies narrowly missed the conversion out on the wing to leave the Welshman with a fragile 18-17 lead.

With two minutes left to play man of the match Davies secured the win for the visitors with another penalty as the game finished up 21-17.

The scorers:

For Munster:
Tries: Williams, Saili, Copeland
Con: Keatley

For Ospreys:
Tries: Davies, Watkin
Con: Davies
Pen: Davies 3

Munster: 15 Andrew Conway, 14 Darren Sweetnam, 13 Francis Saili, 12 Rory Scannell, 11 Ronan O'Mahony, 10 Ian Keatley, 9 Duncan Williams, 8 Jack O'Donoghue. 7 Dave O'Callaghan, 6 Billy Holland (c), 5 Mark Chisholm, 4 Dave Foley, 3 John Ryan, 2 Mike Sherry, 1 Dave Kilcoyne
Replacements: 16 Niall Scannell, 17 Peter McCabe, 18 Mario Sagario, 19 Robin Copeland, 20 Shane Buckley, 21 Tomás O'Leary, 22 Cian Bohane, 23 David Johnston

Ospreys: 15 Dan Evans, 14 Tom Grabham, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Josh Matavesi, 11 Ben John, 10 Sam Davies, 9 Brendon Leonard (c), 8 Dan Baker, 7 Sam Underhill, 6 Joe Bearman, 5 Rory Thornton, 4 Rynier Bernardo, 3 Dmitri Arhip, 2 Sam Parry, 1 Nicky Smith.
Replacements: 16 Scott Otten, 17 Gareth Thomas, 18 Ma'afu Fia, 19 Adam Beard, 20 Olly Cracknell, 21 Rhys Webb, 22 Owen Watkin, 23 Tom Habberfield

Referee: Leighton Hodges (Wales)
Assistant Referees: Mark Patton (Ireland), Jonathan Peak (Ireland)
TMO: Kevin Beggs (Ireland)