Ospreys outscore Glasgow for convincing win

Date published: November 25 2016

Ospreys scored four tries to one as they overcame Glasgow 22-5 in the PRO12 on Friday.

It was an attritional first half, with the steam rising from the players in freezing conditions acting as a metaphor for the huff and puff both sides showed but with little reward. 

A 36th minute try from Ospreys' Tom Habberfield prevented a scoreless first half. The turning point of the match came after 47 minutes as Brian Alainu'uese fell victim to new World Rugby directives on tackling. He was shown a straight red card by referee George Clancy for entering a ruck dangerously. 

This allowed the visitors to run in three further tries from Tom O'Flaherty, Dan Baker and Ashley Beck to make sure of a comprehensive bonus-point victory. 

Junior Bulumakau's late try provided some solace for Glasgow on a disappointing night for Gregor Townsend's side. 

It took 36 minutes, but it was Ospreys' Habberfield who scored the first try of the match. The scrum-half ran onto a long-kick forward, beating the defender for pace before touching down. Josh Matavesi's conversion attempt was unsuccessful, leaving the visitors with a deserved but slim lead at the break. 

After 47 minutes, Alainu'uese was shown a controversial straight red card for leading into a ruck with his shoulder. After the red card, the Warriors were immediately punished with a try. 

Matavesi produced a stunning cross-field kick which was collected brilliantly in the corner by O'Flaherty who touched down to score on his PRO12 debut. Matavesi's missed conversion left the score at 10-0. 

Ospreys scored their third try in the 58th minute, Baker touching down with his first try of the season to stretch his side's lead. Matavesi's poor night from the kicking tee continued with a baffling effort to restrict his side's lead to 15 points. 

Beck secured a bonus point for the visitors with a fourth try after 67 minutes. The inside centre received the ball five metres out before darting through the beleaguered hosts' defence to score. Matavesi finally slotted a conversion through the posts to make the score 22-0. 

Consolation came for the Warriors after 78 minutes when Junior Bulumakau scored a good try in the corner. 

The scorers:

For Glasgow:
Try: Bulumakau
Red Card: Alainu'uese (47th minute)

For Ospreys:
Tries: Habberfield, O'Flaherty, Baker, Beck 
Con: Matavesi

Glasgow: 15 Peter Murchie, 14 Sean Lamont, 13 Nick Grigg, 12 Sam Johnson, 11 Lee Jones, 10 Rory Clegg, 9 Grayson Hart, 8 Josh Strauss, 7 Chris Fusaro, 6 Lewis Wynne, 5 Brian Alainu'uese, 4 Tim Swinson, 3 D'arcy Rae, 2 Corey Flynn, 1 Gordon Reid
Replacements: 16 Pat MacArthur, 17 Ryan Grant, 18 Adam Nicol, 19 Robert McAlpine, 20 Langilangi Haupeakui, 21 George Horne, 22 Patrick Kelly, 23 Junior Bulumakau

Ospreys: 15 Dan Evans, 14 Dafydd Howells, 13 Kieron Fonotia, 12 Ashley Beck, 11 Tom Grabham, 10 Josh Matavesi, 9 Tom Habberfield (c), 8 Dan Baker, 7 Sam Underhill, 6 Olly Cracknell, 5 Rory Thornton, 4 Lloyd Ashley, 3 Ma'afu Fia, 2 Sam Parry, 1 Paul James
Replacements: 16 Scott Otten, 17 Gareth Thomas, 18 Rhodri Jones, 19 Adam Beard, 20 Rob McCusker, 21 Brendon Leonard, 22 Luke Price, 23 Tom O'Flaherty

Referee: George Clancy (Ireland) 
Assistant Referees: Stuart Gaffikin (Ireland) Bob Nevin (Scotland) 
TMO: Olly Hodges (Ireland)